Sunday, August 14, 2011

Toasted Coconut Almond Bites


Sometimes I have those days where I need something sweet but not too sweet...maybe a little salty too, and with a bit of a crunchy element.  Oh, and lets not forget, I would like it be healthy as well.  I know most of you ladies out there know what I am talking about.  This is how I was feeling the other day when I threw together coconut and almonds and came up with a new favorite of mine, toasted coconut almond bites. 


There is nothing more heavenly than the aroma of toasted coconut and when you want to combat hunger, a handful of toasted almonds does the trick, so I thought how perfect if I could combine them in something dessert like but not too sweet. 


Bite sized as well, so portion controlled!  I kept it simple blended toasted coconut, almonds, the heavenly scent of vanilla and rosewater and a little coconut sugar and agave nectar to sweeten. The mixture was like a delicious coconut almond cookie dough!  I shaped it into little balls and rolled them in crunchy toasted coconut to give them texture on the outside, as well as keep the hands of those eating them from getting sticky!  


Their flavor was nutty and slightly sweet, aromatic with coconut when you bit into one and the flavors of the rosewater and vanilla subtle in the background.  The best part is they cured my craving!  They keep nicely in the fridge for months, but I doubt if they last very long...as they don't at my house.  I shared them with my Mom, and she became a fan of them as well.  She loves to eat them after a meal for dessert.  If you are a coconut almond lover like myself, give the recipe a try! 


Toasted Coconut Almond Bites
Makes about 16

1 cup toasted almonds
1 1/2 cup toasted coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp agave nectar
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp rosewater
1/4 tsp sea salt

1 cup toasted finely shredded unsweetened coconut

Combine all ingredients except 1 cup finely shredded coconut in a food processor and process until smooth.  Roll mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in the finely shredded coconut.  Place on a foil lined sheet and chill for a few hours until firm. 



11 comments:

  1. Oh man these look great. I love coconut and all things bite sized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound and look so yummy. Never cooked w/rose water before..thanks for creative post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Love the flavors and how simple they are to make. Delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a creative recipe. These look delicious! I definitely wouldn't be able to eat just one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently purchase rose water and didn't know what to do with it. Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally with you and I do have more than few of those days when I need something sweet and salty:))
    You coconut-almond bites look amazing..One more awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm those look great, i've recently started liking coconut so I"ll have to give these a try

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect and delicious! I want these now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this recipe! I've made something similar before with dates made into a paste and rolled in crushed nuts and coconut. I love the addition of the almonds in this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, I've been wanting to try Agave syrup. Thanks for giving a good recipe to start with Amy!

    ReplyDelete