Sunday, August 28, 2011

Vegan Blueberry Maple Chipotle Brownies


Last Thursday I had just finished a workout and I was quite hungry.  We were standing in line at Chipotle and I was piling up my burrito bowl with pretty much as many veggies as I could.  You can never have too many veggies afterall, as far as I am concerned!  When I got to the salsa and said I wanted all the different kinds and a lot of it I sort of got a funny look from the guy behind the counter.  "Are you sure?"  he asked, "Even of the hot???"  Yes, I replied, and you can put extra of the hot!  You see, for me the spicier the better!  I have been know to eat a habanero whole at times just for the burn of it.  Crazy, maybe but I hear it gets your blood circulation going!  Of course I love a good hot salsa, but I also love to use chilies in sweet applications as well!  Which is exactly why when I decided to make brownies on Friday, adding chipotle chilies came to mind. 


I love the paring of chocolate and chipotle and the subtle kick and afterburn that it gives that sneaks up on you.  I didn't just want to make plain chipotle brownies however, I wanted to add blueberries for little sweet pops of flavor throughout the fudgy lightly spiced batter.  I had made some with raspberries in the past and the results were delicious so I thought I would try blueberries. 


I also addded a bit of maple as well to sweeten and give a slightly caramelly note.  The batter was delicious, and of course I had a few samples of it as these were vegan so no worries about raw eggs...afterall one of my favorite parts of baking things like brownies is licking the bowl.  They smelled of intense dark chocolate as they baked filling my home with a heavenly aroma!  Once they were cool enough to enjoy (and letting them cool was the tough part), I bit into one and was greeted with pure deliciousness. 


They were fudgy, decadent and sweet with notes of caramel and bursts of jammy blueberries with a warm afterburn of chipotle that lingered on the tongue with the sweetness.  I actually enjoyed them more than the raspberry ones I had made earlier in the year because the blueberries were a bit sweeter than the raspberries.  They needed no adornment except for a little powdered sugar to make them prettier. 


I couldn't resist cutting them into cute little hearts because square bars can be boring.  It was a delicious experiment!  If you would like to experience them for yourself, I have included the recipe! 

Vegan Blueberry Maple Chipotle Brownies
makes 24
Brownies:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground chipotle powder
1 cup coconut oil
6 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp maple extract
3/4 cup pureed silken tofu
2 Tbsp blueberry jam
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 cups fresh organic blueberries

Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle position. Line a 9x13 inch pan with foil, and spray with non-stick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, sea salt, and chipotle and set aside. In a large bowl, place chcocolate and oil. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between to melt the chocolate, until the chocolate and oil are smooth and well combined. Whisk in maple syrup, agave nectar, along with vanilla, maple extract, tofu, and jam, and whisk to blend until well incorporated. Whisk in vinegar until well blended and there are pale swirls throughout the batter. fold in berries until well incorporated, and pour into the prepared pan.  Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until set, starting to pull away from the edges of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out fairly clean. Do not overbake! Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then lift foil out by the edges and cool on a rack. Let cool completely, dust with powdered sugar if desired, then cut into 24 bars (or use a cookie cutter if you want to make it more interesting).


 

8 comments:

  1. Aw heart shaped brownies! What an amazing recipe. I love that you included chipotle! I'm definitely going to make this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! I love chocolate and chipotle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique flavor combo! I don't think I've ever experienced brownies with fruit in them, let alone chipotle as well! Definitely going to have to see about making these soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anytime there is chocolate and chipotle I get excited! These are so cute as little heart shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your description is even better! Those are so cute - never seen heart-shaped brownies - I don't ever! Clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look sooo good! And they're vegan? Very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blueberry... and maple! YUM... and Chipotle?!?!?! You blew my mind with this one Amy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the shapes! The flavor in these beauties sounds amazing. I really have to try that chipotle/chocolate mix.

    ReplyDelete