Monday, August 1, 2011

Very Blueberry Vanilla Muffins


I had bought a large amount of blueberries last weekend and had a craving for blueberry muffins.  Now, I have to admit I haven't made blueberry muffins in years, because for some reason I think they are too boring.  So I decided mine were going to be filled with more blueberry favor than the normal blueberry muffins.  


To give mine extra blueberry I pureed extra berries into the batter, giving it a bit of a blue hue.  I put plenty of berries in my muffins as well so they had lots of bursts of jammy delicious flavor.  I gave them extra vanilla flavor as well by adding the beans, because I love when blueberry muffins have a nice vanilla undertone... almost like cake!  I sprinkled them with turbinado sugar for a nice crunch, which to me is essential on any sort of muffin. 


They smelled wonderful when baking, and of course when they were just cool enough to handle I needed to sample one.  I cannot resist a warm muffin fresh from the oven!  It was wonderful!  The smell of the vanilla, the moist light cake and bursts of jammy berries with the crunch of sugar on top, simply heavenly!


Very Blueberry Vanilla Muffins
Makes 8

3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup maple sugar or granulated sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup pureed blueberries
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
seeds of one vanilla bean
2 cups blueberries
large sugars

 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and position rack in center of oven. Line one 8 cup muffin tin with muffin tins or liners. Whisk flour, baking soda, and sea salt in a large bowl to blend well. Whisk sugar, oil, milk, blueberry puree, lemon juice, vanilla beans and vanilla extract, together in small bowl to blend well, then whisk into the flour mixture until well blended. Stir in berries then pour batter into the muffin tins, and sprinkle with sugars.  Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.

14 comments:

  1. Ohh I don't think they are boring..they look beautiful, and one perfect breakfast, dessert or snack!
    Great recipe Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hardly boring! I cannot get enough blueberries this summer and these are now topping my to do list

    ReplyDelete
  3. These muffins are not boring!!! I love the coconut oil in them. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look AMAZING! I love blueberries, and the idea of blending them into the batter is brillient. I shall try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These unboring muffins are packed with blueberry goodness! And pairing them with coconut certainly makes them more interesting and scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not boring at all! Infact very yummy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two things I love about your recipe: the fact that you mash up some of them to make blueberry jam-y pockets AND the coconut oil/milk. I bet the coconut flavor is subtle, but really nice with the blueberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boring?! Girrrrrl, gimme some...I want the entire batch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never thought to add pureed blueberries to my muffins. What a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing with me. You are always inspiring me to get into my kitchen. I hope you have a great day, my friend. Love from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the extra blueberry love in these muffins! I agree a great crunch on top really makes the muffins all that more exciting, with an added textural dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything with blueberries, I love! These muffins sounds really delightful!

    Tammy♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, Job well done...I love the pureed berries in the batter, an extra shot of vanilla and for sure, the turbinado sugar crunch! The use of the coconut oil and milk must provide a wonderful depth too. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are popping with flavor and their own personality. Nothing boring here!

    ReplyDelete