Sunday, September 25, 2011

PB & J Ice Cream


Everyone has to be able to act their age and not their shoe size once in a while...otherwise we would all just be boring adults!  I may not look like it at first glance, but I enjoy acting a little immature once in a while, acting silly and not caring what anyone else thinks.  Last Friday I was feeling like I was in need of a little seriousness intervention after a little bit of a stressful week, so I decided I needed to just have fun and make one of my childhood favorite combinations into a delicious dessert and just enjoy myself. 
 

I suppose I could have very well made myself a PB and J sandwich, camped out on the couch and popped in the Little Mermaid...afterall it was my favorite movie when I was 5, and I admit I know All the words and enjoy singing along to the songs...but I instead transformed the PB & J into ice cream instead!  Afterall, what makes a better Friday night than ice cream? 
 
 

So I instead made ice cream, popped in a CD from when I was younger and sang along to the music in my kitchen acting silly as I waited for it to freeze because it is not like anyone was around anyhow.  I also managed to make a pie while I waited  because why not?  Playing with the dough is fun!  The peanut butter base for the ice cream was amazing...so incredibly silky you would not know it was vegan. 
 
 
It was salty and sweet...peanutty and delicious, like the inside of the peanut butter cups that were my favorite candy as a child.  Once frozen I swirled in some grape jam that I had made from some Minnesota grown concorde grapes earlier in the week.  The combination was fantabulous! 
 

Seriously...I ate it like a kid not caring about serving size because I could not stop myself!  I know PB and J ice cream has been done before, but I have never tasted one this good...and vegan!  As I was scraping the ice cream maker out and licking the scraper I felt like a kid!  But good thing I have picked up better dessert making skills since then!  If you would like to try some ice cream for yourself, I have included the recipe, jam and all!  But if you must you can use storebought jam to make it easier on yourself.
 

Peanut Butter Ice Cream  with Grape Jam Swirl
Makes 6 cups

Grape Jam:
24 oz concord grapes
3/4 cup agave nectar
juice of one lemon
a pinch of sea salt
 
To make jam, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.   Cook until grapes are jammy and have fallen apart, and juices have reduced about 45 minutes to an hour.  Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender.  Strain through a fine meshed strainer into a jar and let cool.  Store in the fridge for up to 3 months. 
 
Ice Cream:
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
3/4 cup agave nectar
3/4 cup smooth organic peanut butter (no sugar added)
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender, and process until well blended.  Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, pour 1/3 into a freezable container with a lid, then drop a few large Tbsp grape jam on top.  Pour half remaining ice cream over, then more jam, then the remaining ice cream and more jam.  Swirl with a knife to distribute jam throughout and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.
 

14 comments:

  1. Alright girl, when are you going to open up an ice cream shop? Looks like you've knocked another one outta the park! What a great idea!! Btw, I wanted to let you know that I recently added you to my blogroll, I hope that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful ice cream, Amy! I'm happy when the kid in you comes out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! I bookmarked a PB&J ice cream recipe to make over the Summer but never got around to it :-( Hoping I do soon, because it sounds too good to pass up. I love that you made your own jam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a classic combo! And you even made your own jelly for the ice cream! I still love having an occasional PB&J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, all my favorite things rolled into one!! This is a must try, love your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious! I bought some concord grapes at the farmers market and now I know what to do with them! Seriously, how perfect is peanut butter and jelly AND its ice cream! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, Glad you let your inner child out to play Friday night, becuase we get to relish this great looking ice cream. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Play on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When ever I am away my husband lives on PB&J. He would love this ice cream!!! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds lovely and pics are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMMY! Ice Cream! I just love ice cream. The sweetness and tingling sensation it offers is very addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's always times for being a little silly! And this PB & J ice cream sounds like just the treat to be having right about now =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treat, please don't send your inner child away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum Yum Yum!! Love everything about this ice-cream!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not even kidding - I would happily collapse into your ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete