Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Piña Colada Oatmeal Cookies


Summer may be gone, but chilly fall weather is perfect for baking.  There is nothing more comforting than filling your home with the sweet aroma of something delicious baking in the oven and warming the kitchen. I am welcoming the cool fall weather, as it is perfect for running and I have had just about enough of 90 degrees.  I have to admit though the chill has me craving sweet things a little more.
 

Today was one of those days at work where I was wishing there were 3 of me to get everything done, but I managed and in order to keep myself sane, I daydreamed about what I could possibly bake when I arrived home.  For some reason I thought about the dried pineapple my Mom had recently bought me and got it into my head that it would be delicious in oatmeal cookies!  This soon turned into piña colada cookies when white chocolate and coconut were added to the ingredient list.  And yes, I know rum had to be included as well...but I stuck with the extract so I didn't mess with the moisture in the cookies. 


So when I got home, I fixed myself up some hot apple cider with a bit of bourbon and got to work!  The thing I love about this type of cookie dough is it comes together quick!  A little sampling was involved during the baking and all the stresses of the day melted off.  My kitchen was filled with the heavenly aromas of brown sugar and spice, and how can one not be happy when taking that in? 


The cookies were delicious as I sampled them warm from the pan...the dried pineapple contributing fruity tartness, the white chocolate creamy sweetness and the pineapple nutty crunch in the aromatic spice laced cookie. 


Summer may be over and it may be cool but these are certainly remeniscent of it...while at the same time being fallish with the spices and the oats.  Kind of like the time of year we are in right now, on the boarder of the seasons.  If you need a delicious treat, you must try these cookies as I have included the recipe!


Piña Colada Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen

2 sticks Earth Balance Buttery sticks, (or organic butter) softened to room temperature
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large organic eggs
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp rum extract
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp sea salt
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups toasted large flake coconut
2 cups  dried pineapple, chopped
2 cups white chocolate, chopped into hunks
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with the sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and rum extract, and beat until well combined. Beat in the flour, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and sea salt until well blended. Mix in the oats until well combined, then add coconut, pineapple, white chocolate, and mix until evenly distributed throughout the batter. Cover the dough and chill in the fridge for a few hours. When ready to bake, heat the oven to 350 degrees with the rack set at the middle position. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet 2 inched apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden, but not overbaked. Let cool on sheet a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack lined with parchment to cool. Meanwhile, use other cooled sheet to bake another batch and switch off with pans as cookies come out of the oven until all the dough is used up.

13 comments:

  1. These are so tasty-looking! And what a great idea to kick up traditional oatmeal cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tropical flair you have added to these cookies. Your choice of extract was probably best. These look so big and yummy-well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, these sound good! I love tropical flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I love the look of this recipe. Can you please tell me, how much does a 'stick of butter/vegan margarine' weigh? We don't get 'sticks' of anything here in Australia, but rather tubs or blocks. :)
    Does 1 stick equate to 250g (ish)/8oz?
    Also, do you think flaxeggs could sucessfully be used in place of the animal kind?
    Thank you,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, these look delicious and fun (as does your colorful tablecloth!). The tropical approach of these cookies is very enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nina, a stick is 4 oz or 8 Tbsp. I am sure the flax eggs would work just fine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. Dried pineapple & white chocolate...uummm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apple cider and bourbon before baking sounds like a plan to me! I would totally eat these cookies warmed, oh so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look fabulous! Love that I can eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fantastic cookies, Amy! I've got to get my hands on some dried pineapple! Hope you're having a great weekend so far :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've done it again Amy! You've made me want to invite myself over for dessert! These cookies ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is nothing like fresh baked cookies to take the edge off (or hot cider with bourbon!) Your cookies sound wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete