Monday, September 12, 2011

Vegan Almond Butter Banana Brownies



Everybody pairs peanut butter and bananas...but what about almond butter and bananas?  I think the combination is quite heavenly myself having gotten used to it when I was in highschool and my Mom would only buy almond butter for a while.  "Almonds are the king of nuts." she would say, to which I would reply "Why can't they be the queen?"  But I knew what she meant, they are a nutritional powerhouse and to this day I tend to eat almond butter about 75 percent of the time when going for nut butter. 


On Friday however I was going to be ordinary and use peanut butter and bananas in brownies when I discovered I had no peanut butter.  But no worries...almond butter to the rescue! Turns out I actually thought they were tastier than they would have been had I simply used peanut butter. 


I used my vegan brownie base, but swapped out the usual tofu for pureed banana, giving them an even fudgier texture.  I swirled a sweet almond butter mixture throughout the batter and added chocolate chips for extra decadence. 


I decided that they needed to be topped off with bananas as well since to me the puree wasn't enough.  They smelled like nutty chocolate cake as they baked and were delicious once I was able to dive in and try them. 


I was not sorry that I had no peanut butter in the house at that point and I was reminded that the ability to improvise is essential sometimes.  Plus new discoveries are made that way!  Try out the almond butter banana combination, you may just love it!  Or if you would like to experience the brownies, I have included the recipe. 


Vegan Almond Butter Banana Brownies
makes 24
Brownies:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp sea salt
1 cup coconut oil
6 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup agave nectar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp banana extract
3/4 cup pureed banana
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 cups chocolate chips

Almond Butter Swirl:
1 cup roasted unsalted almond butter
2 Tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt

2 medium bananas, sliced
granulated sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle position. Line a 9x13 inch pan with foil, and spray with non-stick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, sea salt, and set aside. In a large bowl, place chcocolate and oil. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between to melt the chocolate, until the chocolate and oil are smooth and well combined. Whisk in agave nectar, along with vanilla, maple extract, bananas, and whisk to blend until well incorporated. Whisk in vinegar until well blended and there are pale swirls throughout the batter. Stir in chocolate chips and pour into the prepared pan.  Whisk together almond butter swirl ingredients, then drop by tablespoonfulls onto the brownie batter and swirl with a knife.  Arrange cut banana slices on top and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until set, starting to pull away from the edges of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out fairly clean. Do not overbake! Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then lift foil out by the edges and cool on a rack. Let cool completely, then cut into 24 bars (or use a cookie cutter if you want to make it more interesting).

16 comments:

  1. Hi Amy - love the use of coconut oil and especially almond butter. It has a more neutral taste than peanut butter so paired in the brownies - better! Have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amy, only I can say is wow..what a beautiful brownies, and presentation is amazing too! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, everything you make just looks so delicious! I think it's time for you to open a bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please send these to me now. Thank you :)

    This recipe is mouth watering! Can't wait to try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, please! I heart almond butter (it's so pricey though, so I don't buy it often...). Next time I buy it, I DEF. want to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look incredible! I especially love how you can see bits of all the ingredients on the top of the star - very beautiful (and I bet they're super yummy!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your brownies look so fantastic. Love the little star you made out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these are truly beautiful! LOVE the star shape...and the visible bananas are irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious! I love the flavors of almond, chocolate and banana -- a perfect trifecta!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brownies! Yumyum! I just love brownies and this recipe is simply amazing! I love the combination of banana and almonds. A must try recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so great! I can't wait to try them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)! I hope you love them as much as I did :)!

      Delete
  12. do you have book with all your fab recipes?i will love to have it pls

    ReplyDelete