Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Peanut Butter Brittle Fudge Swirl Ice Cream


All of this Halloween candy I have been seeing lately is so incredibly tempting to buy...especially the Reese's peanut butter cups and pumpkins.  Those were always my favorite as a kid, the ones I would trade the other candy for when we arrived home with our plastic pumpkins after trick or treating.  But, I know if I buy some, my adult tastes will probably think they are too sweet now, plus I shouldn't eat the whole bag myself so I have to resist.  But, that doesn't mean I can't make something just as delicious with the same flavors with ingredients I have at home right?  Plus, I know if I make a dessert I won't just sit and pop it in my mouth addictively the way peanut butter cups are eaten if I get my hands on a bag.  So...what to make?  That was the question last weekend. 


I am in love with my vegan peanut butter ice cream.  So, I decided to take my basic recipe for it and add a form of chocolate, as well as some texture in the form of peanuts.  No, I didn't just chop a bunch of chocolate and peanuts and stir it in...that would be boring.  First, I made a simple fudge sauce sweetened with agave nectar.  It is so quick to make, and something I often use to drizzle over desserts, and I love that it contains no simple sugar. 


Then, I made some quick salted peanut brittle, because I knew it would be delicious in the ice cream and as a garnish for it, adding texture and crunch.  I already knew the peanut butter ice cream base was heavenly, but I could barely wait to taste the finished product once it had set in the freezer. 


Oh my gosh was it amazing!  The silky ice cream with an intense peanut buttery flavor, the gooey dark chocolate fudge, and the crunchy salted peanut brittle danced in my mouth!  It was decadent and delicious, way better than eating a bunch of store bought peanut butter cups.  I know it is not the same thing as candy, but it was better!  It kind of reminded me of a snickers bar crossed with a peanut butter cup in ice cream due to the crunchy peanuts in the caramel flavored brittle.  I got my candy fix and didn't need to go out and buy some! If you are looking for an adult way to enjoy these flavors, here is the recipe! 


Peanut Butter Brittle Fudge Swirl Ice Cream  
Makes 6 cups

Salted Peanut Brittle:
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups roasted peanuts
Fleur de sel
Lay out a piece of foil and spray with non-stick spray.  Heat sugar over high heat in a non-stick skillet with 2 tsp sea salt, until sugar begins to melt.  Stir with a rubber spatula to evenly melt sugar and add almonds.  Stir to coat, and pour onto foil, spreading into a thin layer.  Sprinkle with fleur de sel and let cool completely.  Break into pieces (about a cup broken into very small pieces to be stirred into ice cream), you will have extra for serving and snacking.
Fudge swirl:
1/2 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder (plus more if needed)
1/2 cup agave nectar (plus more if needed)
1 Tbsp coconut milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
To fudge swirl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth.  If too runny, then add a little more cocoa powder.  Should be the consistency of thick caramel sauce. If too thick add a little more agave nectar. 
Peanut butter ice cream:
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
3/4 cup agave nectar
3/4 cup smooth organic peanut butter (no sugar added)
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender, and process until well blended.  Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, pour 1/3 into a freezable container with a lid, then drizzle some fudge over and scatter about 1/3 cup brittle over.  Pour half remaining ice cream over, then more fudge and brittle, then the remaining ice cream and more fudge and brittle.  Swirl with a knife to distribute fudge and brittle throughout and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

7 comments:

  1. This looks simply divine! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks amazing! And I'm not even in love with peanut butter, but mmm. I would die for that. Gorgeous presentation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but just in case I haven't, you are the ice cream queen! Yet another great flavor! That brittle looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Stephanie! If you don't have a crown, you need one! Another fantastic ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you say Peanut Butter Brittle 10 times, repeatedly?...almost impossible, but I can have this yummy and droolworthy topping on my ice cream, ten days, in a row:DDD

    ReplyDelete
  6. The peanut brittle would make great Christmas gifts! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh good lord. This sounds delicious. I never thought I liked brittle until I got it for a gift and it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete