Friday, October 14, 2011

Poison Apple Martini





What do you do when dealing with a breakup?  Try to keep your head held high, find the positives in your life and maybe make a great drink just for yourself... because girl you deserve it!  Such an occasion calls for a special type of drink however, one of mixed feelings.  Which is precisely why tonight I made a little (well, maybe not so little) martini for myself I like to call the "Poison Apple". 
Might as well throw a little seasonal flavor in for good measure and use some cider and spice!  I started off with a base of Crown Royal, which is warming and comforting, reminding me of hot toddies.  I added a bit of honey bourbon for sweetness, as well as some honeycrisp apple cider and a bit of lemon for a tart bite.  I decided that some burn needed to be included here along with the comfort, as like the drink, breakups sting a little...so I added my ginger habanero syrup.  Lastly a dash of cinnamon and maple and voila! 
A delicious cocktail of mixed emotions, smooth and sweet, a little tart and a bit of an afterburn.  Maybe you need a good cocktail with some comfort, a bit of relaxation and warmth without being hot... here is your drink, and it is perfect for October! 
Poison Apple Martini
Makes 1

For rim:
1 Tbsp agave nectar
2 Tbsp turbinado sugar
a pinch of ground cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Drink:
6 large ice cubes
2 oz apple cider
3 oz Crown Royal
1 oz Honey bourbon
1 oz fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp ginger habanero syrup*
1/4 tsp cinnamon
a few drops natural plant based red food coloring

To coat rim, place agave nectar on a plate and coat rim edge with it by dipping it upside down into it.  On another plate, combine turbinado sugar, cayenne, and cinnamon and dip coated glass rim into it coating it evenly, set aside.  To make drink, in a martini shaker add the ice, cider, crown royal, bourbon, lemon juice, syrup, and cinnamon and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour through a strainer into a the martini glass, and serve!
 
*Ginger Habanero Agave Syrup:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 inch piece fresh ginger
1 habanero pepper, halved
Heat water until boiling, remove from heat and whisk in agave nectar ginger and pepper, until nectar is dissolved. Chill well before using in drinks. Makes 1 cup syrup

12 comments:

  1. Seriously...your breakup was a good thing....almost as good as your martini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful, Amy... just like you! You're going to be totally fine :-) I hope you feel better soon! Have a great weekend, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breakups are never easy but you'll be fine I do agree bit previous comment:)) I love your seasonal presentation and martini do look tempting even if I don't drink:)) Cheers sweetie..tomorrow is another"better"day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breakups are never easy, but you will get through it. Nice drink. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about you breakup! But, this drink looks it would cure any blues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks spook-tacular! Sorry to hear about the heart break. On the bright side you've got one fantastic drink there. The perfect way to drown your sorrows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Amy, I'm sorry to hear this. I hope it just makes you realize that the perfect person for you is still out there. Better to find out now...

    Your Martini is pretty but has a sting...waah, that's sad! But maybe not...Mr. Right is still out there. Prayer said for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the most beautiful martini I've ever seen...the color is just glorious. I'm sorry about the breakup, Amy...you will be a wonderful catch for some lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone better is on his way to you. In the meantime raise your glass and toast to you. Onward and Upward girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This sounds awesome and like it would knock me on my...apple:-) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds awesome! I could spend 5 minutes alone on the rim! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, look at that beautiful martini!! Perfect for the Fall

    ReplyDelete