Friday, October 7, 2011

Silky Almond Chipotle Chili Ice Cream


Silky Almond Chipotle Ice Cream...so delicious!  You might be wondering what I was thinking when creating this combination, but in fact, I didn't come up with it at all...my Mother did!  Yes, my Mother, who enjoys almond butter on toast with honey and a sprinkle of chipotle pepper.  She is onto something though, the combination is quite delicious, the silky almond butter with a hint of sweetness and a little smokey kick.  I know it would make delicious cookies, but this week I was making ice cream since it has been 80 degrees every day in Minnesota. 

So why almond butter ice cream?  Well, I made some peanut butter ice cream recently that was absolutely amazing, so I thought almond butter would be just as wonderful!  I didn't want just plain almond butter however, so when I was brainstorming ideas my Mother's almond butter chipotle pairing came to mind. 
I am one that likes to add a kick to desserts wherever I can, so I gave this ice cream experiment a go! 

The base was delicious, I sweetened it with maple syrup, and added a bit of cinnamon for another warm fallish element figuring this would be perfect atop a slice of warm apple pie.  Once it had ripened in the freezer and it was tasting time I scooped myself, and my taste tester (my Mother, the genious who came up with the combo) a dish and we dove in. 
It was delicious! Silky smooth with the flavor of toasty almonds, spices, and sweet maple syrup.  The chioptle gave it a slight kick but not overpowering.  It was perfect for fall, and perfect for pairing with a warm apple or pear dessert.  With this experiment success, it just goes to show that things that may sound odd might turn out to be delicious!  If you want something to serve your apple pie with besides boring old vanilla, here is the recipe!

Silky Almond Chipotle Chili Ice Cream  
Makes 4 cups

Ice Cream:
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
3/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup organic roasted salted almond butter
2 tsp ground chipotle pepper (or 1 Tbsp if you like spicy)
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
Combine all ingredients in a blender, and process until well blended.  Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, pour into a freezable container with a lid, and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

7 comments:

  1. The spiciness of this ice cream really appeals to me. A very unique recipe, and one that is definitely getting saved in my recipe box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have put these together, however I'm really, really wishing I had some of this. All the flavors are wonderful together! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an unusual flavor combo, but I'm totally intrigued and I bet it tastes wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the spicy sweet!! This looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy - this is so unusual - love that you used coconut milk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what flavours! this sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete