Friday, October 28, 2011

Silky Spiced Pumpkin Ice Cream with Apple Cider Reduction


Earlier this week I was in the car driving back from my doctor's appointment.  I had just had an X-ray diagnosing me with a fibular stress fracture, and was told "No running for 6-8 weeks".  Running means an awful lot to me...it is my stress relief, my alone time, and my time to think, but I had been mentally preparing myself for bad news.   As much of a bummer as it was to hear I had a fracture, I was relieved to finally find out for sure what the pain in my leg had been for the past month.  I was zoning out and staring at the beautiful orange maple trees in someone's front yard as I sat at a stoplight when suddenly something on the radio commercials caught my ear.  "Pumpkin Ice Cream..."  It was a Trader Joe's commercial, talking about how good their ice cream was because it was made with pure pumpkin and cream.  It didn't make me want to go out and buy a quart however, it made me want to create my own delicious vegan pumpkin ice cream. 
 

Afterall, I deserved it after the bad news right?  Of course!  At least that was my thought process.  I began dreaming of a silky pumpkin ice cream with just enough spice to be remeniscent of pumpkin pie filling.  I thought I would make it extra silky by adding a small amount of almond butter along with the pumpkin puree.  The base was delicious once the spices were added, and the finished product after churning was amazing, but after it had ripened overnight it was heavenly! 
 
 
I scooped myself a dish (ok, more than one), drizzled some apple cider reduction I had in the fridge over it, topped it with pecans, and it was perfect!  Like pumpkin pie with cream that melted in my mouth.  The tart reduction cut the sweet beautifully, and I was glad I decided to try it drizzled over. 
 

What stress fracture?  Ice cream makes everything better...at least while you are eating it.  If you are a pumpkin lover though, you must try making this ice cream, no excuses needed!  The reduction is wonderful as well, especially over pancakes. 
 

Silky Spiced Pumpkin Ice Cream with Apple Cider Reduction
Makes 6 cups
 
Ice cream:
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
3/4 cup agave nectar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup almond butter (no sugar added)
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp maple extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
 
Combine all ingredients in a blender, and process until well blended.  Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, pour into a freezable container with a lid, and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results. Serve with cider reduction. 
 
Cider reduction:
4 cups organic apple cider
 
To make reduction, place cider in a large saucepan, bring to a boil, and cook until reduced to 1 cup or the consistency of syrup.  Remove from heat and cool.  It will thicken as it cools.  Store in the fridge. 

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your fracture. Get well soon. Ice cream looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice cream does make everything better! Especially this ice cream!! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything with silky in the title has GOT to be good! Actually, I should say... that any ice cream that you make is going to be good! You always have such creative flavors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum-who says ice cream is not for fall-this post sure proved that wrong. The blend of flavors here is awesome and yes you deserve it-hope that fracture heals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, that looks so wonderful! Never had pumpkin ice cream, how interesting. Apple cider reduction sounds completely delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be still my heart! Yum!

    xoLexie | Lexie's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your fracture heals up quickly. In the meantime keep coming up with yummy sounding recipes like this. Pumpkin ice cream is my special treat this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This ice cream looks amazing!!! Love the flavors especially that apple cider reduction. Yum!

    ReplyDelete