Sunday, November 27, 2011

Coconut Pecan Yam Cookies


I had gotten it into my mind Friday while at work that some cookie baking was in order for that night when I got home.  Afterall, one needs no reason to make cookies, all you need is the motivation to bake.  However, I didn't feel like having to buy any ingredients to make cookies so I knew I would have to raid the pantry and fridge in search of some delicious ingredients.  I had not chocolate or dried fruit, and I had the wrong kind of oatmeal for baking so chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies were out of the question.  I had no eggs, but that wasn't a problem since I make vegan cookies most of the time. 


What I did have in my fridge was yams leftover from Thanksgiving, large flake coconut and pecans!  Now, I know you might be thinking yam cookies sound a little odd, but they aren't really when you consider pumpkin cookies.  Yams are afterall sweeter.  I had some limes on my counter as well so I thought I could scent them with a little lime zest!  I decided to leave spices out of the equation this time and simply let the sweet yam flavor shine. 


The dough was amazing, and the lime gave it something extra, almost tropical! 


They smelled absolutely wonderful when baking as well, like brown sugar and sweet yams with fragrant coconut! 


Once cooled, they were much better than I ever thought possible.  I knew they would be good, but they were fabulous!  The sweet cakey yam cookie was scented lightly with lime and vanilla and the coconut and pecans added a nice crunch. 


They had tropical notes, and were somewhat exotic, not like any cookie I have ever experienced.  I was glad I didn't cave and buy chocolate chips at the store, these were so much better!  Sometimes it pays to raid the fridge and pantry!  Here is the recipe if you would like to experience them for yourself! 


Coconut Pecan Yam Cookies
makes 1 1/2 dozen

 Cookies:
1 cup maple sugar, or granulated organic sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp coconut oil
3/4 cup yam (or sweet potato) puree
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp lime zest
1/2 cup thick maple syrup or agave nectar 
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
1 1/2 cups toasted large flake coconut

In a large bowl, combine coconut oil with sugar and beat until fluffy and well combined. Beat in the yam puree, vanilla extract, lime zest and maple syrup until well combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, then add to the large bowl, and mix until well combined. Mix in the pecans and coconut, cover, and place in the fridge to chill until firm (I like to leave it overnight). To bake, Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll balls into about 2 inch balls, and place on prepared cookie sheets a couple inches apart (refrigerate unused dough while baking the other trays). Bake for about 15 minutes, until puffed and just starting to brown slightly. Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining cookies.

16 comments:

  1. These sound so delicious! I somehow don't have any yams laying around to use, since I used the last one in some sushi I made earlier this weekend.But I will have to keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Yams in cookies? Kinda crazy, but I believe you that they're delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. these cookies would probably hit the top spot in how to use leftovers! yummazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sounds amazing! I've never baked with sweet potatoes, but love them, so I bet these'd be great for me. Plus coconut is my ambrosia! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to make yam cookies! I bet they were wonderful with the coconut and pecans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, I bet the yams give a wonderful sweetness to these delicious looking cookies...especially when combined with coconut, lime and pecans! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a yam cookie!! These look so good, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love yams and coconut AND pecans - so these cookies sound absolutely delicious to me! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a awesome idea, Amy! Love the flavor of these cookies, and I love your yummy photos too!!!
    Have a wonderful Holiday season!!!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful blend of ingredients and flavors. Love the looks and the texture of that cookie. Very tempting-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look amazing!! I love the use of yam, so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, this is just brilliant! I have to make these the next time I roast sweet potatoes. I love the combination of flavors, and I'm sure the yam/sweet potato gives it a great texture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, this is just brilliant! I have to make these the next time I roast sweet potatoes. I love the combination of flavors, and I'm sure the yam/sweet potato gives it a great texture!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look so good--what a fun idea to add the yam and lime!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just for the record...We just made them for lunch and I had to let you all know that hey are amazing. I had to make a few substitutions because I didn't have every thing on hand. But even so...Delicious!

    Thanks Amy for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Served these at a potluck today and everybody LOVED them. Even the people who said they didn't like Sweet Potato. Even got a request to bring them to a party next week! Thanks again Amy!

    ReplyDelete