Saturday, November 19, 2011

Cranberry Sauce Martini


Back as long as I can remember, when I used to go to Thanksgiving at my Grandparents house there was always the cranberry sauce in the shape of a can on the table among the delicious food that my Grandmother had lovingly made from scratch.  Funny how that one item was the thing nobody cared enough to make, but buy instead.  It would get passed around the table, maybe one or two of us would take a small spoonful to be polite, then the rest would get tossed.  Kind of sad really, the poor neglected cranberry sauce. Who am I kidding, I didn't take any so I really didn't feel that bad.  I can't say that I really ever liked cranberry sauce until I started making my own a few years back when I cooked thanksgiving dinner at my house.  No can in sight, just a beautiful bowl of ruby red sauce.  I lace mine with orange and vanilla and sweeten it with agave nectar, so delicious.  I made some a couple days ago because it sounded good to me, and I thought it would be delicious with ice cream.  But it made it onto and into many different things this week, including my martini. 


I decided that one would be nice this afternoon as I sat and stared out at the snow which was accumulating on my front lawn.  It has finally hit Minnesota and I have the idea that I might as well embrace it rather than
complain about it...afterall, it means I can go cross country skiing soon!  So I thought a little bit of a celebratory martini was in order while I enjoyed watching the beautiful snowflakes fall. 


Now I know people put cranberry juice in cosmos, but cranberry sauce is what I had so...I created the cranberry sauce martini.  Looking at the ingredients now, it is sort of a twist on a cosmo, but I don't want to call it that.  To some organic vodka, I added fresh orange and lime juice, vanilla scented agave nectar and some of my homemade cranberry sauce.  


It was delicious, the perfect balance of tart citrus and cranberris and sweet vanilla.  The perfect thing to enjoy while I watched the snow pile up outside like the inside of a snowglobe.  It is festive enough as well that it would be perfect to serve with Thanksgiving dinner, and your guests would be impressed!  I have included the recipe if you would like to enjoy one for yourself.  Let it snow...Cheers! 


Cranberry Sauce Martini
(Cranberry Citrus Martini)

Makes 1

Drink:
6 large ice cubes
2 oz orange juice
4 oz vodka
2 Tbsp smooth cranberry sauce (sweetened)
1 oz fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp vanilla bean agave syrup*
Citrus zest and cranberries for garnish

To make drink, in a martini shaker add the ice, vodka, citrus juice, cranberry sauce, syrup, and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour through a strainer into a the martini glass, and garnish with a bit of citrus zest and a few cranberries!Cheers! 
 
*Vanilla Bean Agave Syrup:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 vanilla bean, slit lengthwise
 
Heat water until boiling, remove from heat and whisk in agave nectar and vanilla beans, until nectar is dissolved. Chill well before using in drinks. Makes 1 cup syrup.

10 comments:

  1. This is a MUST make for Thanksgiving! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite drinks is the Cape Cod which uses cranberry juice. This martini does intrigue, I definitely will need to try for the holidays. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creative twist! I'm not really a fan of cranberries (grew up in Germany), but maybe with a good shot of alcohol, I could convince myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! I love cranberry sauce so this might be something I try with some leftover sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member (blog follower)

    and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

    i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
    (u can add me on facebook and contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just so beautiful, Amy! What a fantastic presentation!!! Thanks for sharing and have a awesome Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A perfect holiday (or anytime really) cocktail!! So pretty and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous martini! Such an amazing idea to have around this time of year and those zest curls! How pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea, Amy. This sounds delicious and your photos are stunning! Happy Thanksgiving to you - cheers!

    ReplyDelete