Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Grape and Cranberry Crisp


I was minding my own buisness in the produce section last Saturday, picking out my grapes when I realized the man next to me was asking me a question.  "So, you like grapes?  Do you enjoy wine as well?"  He was about in his mid 40s wearing a motorcycle jacket and clearly  he was the type of guy who thinks he is younger than he really is.  Not sure where he was going with this I replied "yes..."  To which he said "Well, maybe you should let me take you out sometime for a glass!"  Really?  Did you really just hit on me?  Don't you think you are just a little too old?  Not wanting the conversation to go any farther, I simply replied "No thanks." and walked away.  He was kind of creeping me out.  Had he been about 20 years younger and not creepy I might have found that whole ordeal charming, but due to the fact that he was creepy, not so much.  I left the produce section so fast I had forgotten to pick up some apples, as I was planning on making a grape apple crisp, since I had seen a grape and apple pie in a magazine and thought it sounded like a good pairing.  Stupid uncle creepy making me forget my apples.  Oh well though, I came up with something better. 


I had picked up some cranberries prior to the grape episode and I decided to pair them with the grapes in the crisp, figuring the tart cranberries would balance out the sweet grapes beautifully.  I combined the two with a little maple and vanilla and baked them until they were bubbly, jammy and delicious and topped them off with a crunchy oat and walnut topping.  It smelled wonderful, and it was fabulous! 


Especially topped with ice cream.  I enjoyed it warm, it was the perfect balance of tart and sweet the grapes and the cranberries married together in the delicious filling baked to perfection.  The toasty walnuts and oats in the buttery topping were the perfect crown for the jewel toned crisp.  I guess I have one thing to thank uncle creepy in the produce section for, he forced me to create a new type of delicious crisp.  I guess everything happens for a reason, even unwanted flirting attempts.  If you haven't tried the grape and cranberry combination, you must!  It is delicious!  Here is the recipe for my crisp if you would like to try some!


Grape and Cranberry Crisp
Serves 2 generously

4 cups concord grapes 
2 cups fresh cranberries
4 Tbsp maple sugar
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp maple extract
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

Topping:
6 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
3 Tbsp maple sugar
4 Tbsp cold Earth Balance vegan butter
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup walnut pieces

Two 5 or 6 inch wide deep dish ovenproof bowls or pie plates

Preheat oven to 400 degrees with the rack at the center position. Place a baking sheet lined with foil on the rack. Spray two 5 or 6 inch wide pie plates or bowls with cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss together the grapes, cranberries, maple sugar, maple extract, vanilla, and 1/4 cup flour. Spoon into prepared bowls or pie plates, and cover with foil. Place plates on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes until fruit is cooked through and bubbling. Meanwhile, to make the topping, combine the flour, sugar, butter and salt in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender, or 2 knives, cut butter into the flour until it is in pea sized chunks and clumping together. Add oats and walnuts. With hands, squeeze the mixture together forming larger chunks as well as incorporating the oats and nuts until evenly distributed as you go. Place in the fridge until the crisps are ready to top. When the fruit has baked for 35 minutes, and is bubbling, remove from the oven and top with the crisp mixture. Place back in the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until lightly brown and toasted. Remove from oven and let cool until warm...enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Cool combination! Too bad you had to go through that creepy exchange to get to it-- but hey, some things may be worth it! :)
    Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, looks delicious! I've never had a grape crisp, I'd love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm! I've never tried a grape crisp! But surely would love to try! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do we not worry about the annoying seeds in concord grapes? They are so delicious otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are actually ones that are seedless, if you can find those then you are set!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha-now you have a friend at the grocers! Since I have never cooked or baked anything with grapes, this does intrigue. It looks like a great dessert and the two fruits sound like they would work well together. Well worth trying-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creepy! At least you made it through the creep-zone at the grocery store and bought the ingredients for this beautiful crisp! Thank you for making my morning brighter! I'm so glad I have your blog to make me smile. I hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first saw your post I thought hum interesting combo I must try it. I made it for Thanksgiving and wow delish! I used coconut palm sugar instead of maple and black and red grapes instead of concord and added some nutmeg to the filling. Yum! Thanks for the idea. I will def be making it again

    ReplyDelete