Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Truffled Vanilla Scented Kettle Corn


When the weather starts getting chilly and the sun has set before six, I like nothing more than to stay inside and relax after a long day.  This often involves sweats, a glass of good wine and a chick flick or a large pile of cookbooks.  Last Sunday I had gone out for a walk in the chilly air after the sun had set and I was thinking of having one of those relaxing nights.  My TV broke this week, but I did have the cookbooks and wine.  I felt as though I was in need of a delicious snack as well though.  Popcorn!  That was it, and it would go perfect with my Sauvignon Blanc!  I love a bowl of warm popcorn, especially made with coconut oil, which is the only way I make mine now, since my Mom introduced me to it.  I was craving something a little sweet too though, so kettle corn came to mind.


I had had a delicious truffled kettle corn at The Red Stag in Minneapolis recently, and it was so good I ate a huge bowl of the appetizer myself.  I am sure they used truffle salt on theirs as well as white sugar and butter and that is what made it so addictive. It inspired me to want to make some of my own at home my way.  I don't have truffle salt, but I do have white truffle oil so I knew I could make something just as delicious myself. 


I use my whirly pop to make popcorn, and it is wonderful!  You get perfect popcorn with few to none old maids (unpopped kernals) in just about 4 minutes.  It was a great investment since I love popcorn. 


I always use coconut oil in mine and even though I would be drizzling the kettle corn with truffle oil, I still used the coconut oil to cook it.  When it was all finished popping and the aroma was unbearable it smelled so delicious...


I tossed it with truffle oil, maple sugar and a bit of salt as well as a last minute ingredient you wouldn't expect...I decided to add vanilla bean to the kettle corn as well, thinking it would be delicious with the sweetness.  You may be thinking truffle and vanilla?  Yes!  It was amazing! 


Oh my goodness, it was better than the stuff at the restaurant.  And I admit that I ate the entire huge bowl in one sitting.  The truffle oil gave it an umami like earthy quality, the vanilla beans provided a delicious aroma and the maple sugar caramelly sweetness.  It went perfectly with my wine, and kept me from getting hungry as I browsed my cookbooks on the couch.  I know I will be making this often during the cool months, because it is very addictive.  Here is the recipe if you would like to enjoy some for yourself! 


 Truffled Vanilla Scented Kettle Corn
Makes about 6 cups

1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup unpopped white popcorn kernals
2 Tbs white truffle oil
seeds of one vanilla bean
2 Tbsp maple sugar or granulated sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste

Add coconut oil and popcorn to whirly pop and heat over medium heat.  Stir constantly with the crank and keep going until all of the popcorn is popped, about 4 minutes total.  (or if you make your popcorn in a pot, then cook it your way.)  Remove from heat, pour into a large bowl with a lid and drizzle with truffle oil, add vanilla bean, sugar and salt, then put the lid on and shake until everything is well distributed.  Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. This looks quite yummy and perfect complement for a glass of vino! I've never experienced the combination but vanilla and truffle sound wonderful! This recipe is popping good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand popcorn (or licorice, don't ask me!), but my wife loves kettle corn in particular and I think she'd love this. I might have to surprise her with a batch some time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know I love popcorn--and that I totally endorse the wonders of coconut oil :)

    I've been thinking about making kettle corn for a while now...I'm going to have to get on that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great. I love kettle corn and I've just started popping my own popcorn, so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This definitely sounds addictive. I love popcorn, and kettle corn in particular. I had pesto corn once that was fantastic. I have some truffle oil and I'm going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an elegant recipe! Love the flavors here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really sounds interesting.This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a great place to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my Whirly pop as well...but for entirely different reasons. The Whirly Pop is made outside a very small town in Indiana - Monon in fact. Looking out across a field and a small creek, you can see the house and the large farm where I grew up. I love seeing Whirly Pops everywhere because I am immediately reminded of home!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, this is some serious corn! I must make this soon so I'll no longer have to imagine how wonderful this must be. Terrific flavor profiles and like you, I'd choose wine and cookbooks over TV anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying to imagine the smells coming from the genius flavor combo!

    ReplyDelete