Monday, December 19, 2011

German Chocolate Bourbon Balls


Every year my Mom requests that I make some form of bourbon balls.  They end up being a little different every year, because I make them based on what type of cookie, brownie or cake crumbs I happen to have on hand.  Last year she decided to take a bunch of them to work with her to share with coworkers, and it was quite a large batch, so there were about half left over on her desk in a container.  She left them there overnight figuring they would enjoy them the next day, but when she arrived at her desk in the morning, someone had devoured them!  It is the joke now with her and her coworkers that she made the cleaning crew very happy that night.  It is very likely because most everyone else had gone home...or maybe a very stressed coworker walked into her cube and ate them all!  Either way, someone was happy because my bourbon balls aren't tame, they are quite boozy and pack a punch! 


This year she again requested the bourbon balls, and I had saved half a batch of brownies from last weekend to make them so it worked out perfectly!  I decided to make German chocolate bourbon balls with pecans and toasted coconut in the boozy chocolate base.  They were quite delicious, and I feel like I have added just the right amount of boozy. 


I should know because I took many samples while I made them to make sure they are good!  I lovingly refer to these as "Dirty Snowballs" because they look like it with the toasted coconut, chocolate and pecans.  They are decadent and flavorful, nutty and rich...perfect if you are feeling like something a bit naughty. 


I gave my Mom a large container of them, but after she had one she told me she wasn't sharing this year...although she told me they were really good, the fact that she is not sharing them tells me she loves them.  If you would like to make some for yourself, here is the recipe, and you don't have to share if you don't want to!


German Chocolate Bourbon Balls
"Dirty Snowballs"
makes about 18

1 cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
1 cup toasted finely shredded unsweetened coconut
2 1/2 cups vegan brownie crumbs
3 Tbsp bourbon
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

1 cup toasted finely shredded unsweetened coconut for rolling

In a large bowl combine pecans, 1 cup coconut, brownie crumbs, bourbon, and vanilla and squish together with hands until a mass is formed and it is all well mixed.  Form into 1 1/2 inch balls, and roll in the remaining cup coconut. 

9 comments:

  1. Amy, I'm loving these German Chocolate Bourbon Balls! You keep hitting 'em out of the ballpark...Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once told my mom that I wanted candy but it had to have the flavors of german chocolate icing. She told me that it did not sound good at all. I think I have realized that she is at the age where her taste buds have died!
    Glad to see that your recipe here has granted my wish :). I am definitely keeping this recipe and I will not need a holiday as an excuse to prepare them! Delicious creation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome dear...you have made it perfectly..

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of varying the recipe based on what you currently have in your kitchen--these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these look marvelous, Amy!!! My favorite flavors in each delicious bite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd side with Mom and keep them to myself also. Keep the boozy desserts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum! I wouldn't be able to let these go! I'd keep them in my own special cookie jar. Thank you for sharing with me...and making me smile on a rainy and cold night in Austin. I hope you are having a wonderful week. I know I'm busy...but I'm enjoying all the bustle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, as opposed to most Germans, coconut in my chocolate makes me happy - these sound absolutely to die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love the idea that it's quick and a classic...

    ReplyDelete