Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pomegranate Vanilla Bean Ice Cream



I love it when the sun is setting and the sky is painted the colors of mango and blackberry sorbet, raspberry sherbert and strawberry ice cream!  We have had many spectacular sunsets this fall, and I have been able to enjoy many of them as Minnesota is so mild this winter.   


Monday night was no different.  I got off work and it was 50 degrees so I had to take advantage of the "almost tropical" (hey, it should be below zero right now, so yes it was for this time of year) weather and go for a walk.  About half way through I was bummed that I didn't bring my camera because the sky was spectacular!  Only the memory in my mind of the beautifully colored sky.  Luckilly I have had plenty of chances this year to take photos of sunsets. 


I love going for a walk with only the sound of the breeze and the beauty of the sky, it takes all the stresses of the day and melts them away.  I instead think of things like how the sky looks like frozen desserts.  Which brings me to my pomegranate vanilla ice cream. 


It was the color of the pink in the winter sunset, and so delicious I decided to share it with you!  I recently had some leftover pomegranate juice reduction and I thought it would be a wonderful sweetener for my vanilla ice cream, sort of a winter twist!  I also stirred in some pomegranate seeds for pops of flavor and it was delicious!  


It was smooth and sweet a beautiful light pink with ruby-like tart sweet seeds, needing only to be served by itself for a light dessert after all the heavy holiday food.  Afterall, if there was ever a winter to be eating ice cream this is it with the warmer weather!  Here is the recipe if you would like to experience it for yourself!


Pomegranate Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Makes about 4+ cups

3 cups organic pomegranate juice
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
1/2 cup agave nectar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
seeds of one vanilla bean
1/8 tsp sea salt

2 cups pomegranate seeds

Place pomegranate juice in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat and cook until it is syrupy and reduced to between 3/4 and half a cup.  Remove from heat and chill until very cold.  Pour into a blender and combine with all ingredients except seeds, and process until well blended.  Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, stir in seeds and pour into a freezable container with a lid and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, those are beautiful photos! Throw pomegranates into anything and you catch my attention! Looks fantastic, can't wait to try this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning photos...and another magnificent ice cream....mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ice cream is TOTALLY reminiscent of your photos!!!! BEAUTIFUL Amy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love that this is vanilla despite the coloring :) And pomegranate seeds make everything look so festive and fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it's still so mild in Minnesota--perhaps we have all the snow up here in Alaska! That doesn't stop us from eating ice cream, and the color and texture of yours look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! What a scrumptious recipe. Who cares if it is winter, I am definitely going to give this a try ver soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this one, Amy! I still haven't opened my Xmas gifts from my mom, but I am really hoping that I get an ice cream maker so I can try some of your delicious ice cream recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful photos! And, yummy ice cream! I love anything pomegranate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post & beautiful photos Amy! This ice cream is gorgeous & sounds like a "must make" :)

    ReplyDelete