Thursday, December 29, 2011

Vanilla Scented Citrus with Coconut Cream


I don't know about all of you, but I have been guilty of indulging a bit much on the Holiday goodies lately.  After last weekend, I have wanted nothing more than to have light desserts featuring fruit, or just a glass of wine.  The citrus is so good right now, I have been enjoying grapefruit like crazy, simply with greek yogurt and honey and something crunchy like toasted coconut or cashews.  I like something creamy with my fruit, and I like that yogurt is a lot healthier than whipped cream.  Although if whipped cream were healthy I would be all for it everyday.  I have been looking for a "healthy" way to have something as good as whipped cream for years, and recently in the Foodbuzz Top 9, there was a blogpost by A Thought For Food on "Coconut Milk Whipped Cream".  You should all visit his blog, so I have included the post:
http://www.foodbuzz.com/blogs/4743805-recipe-coconut-milk-whipped-cream
I could not have been more excited to see this! 


What a great idea, the coconut milk lover that I am, I couldn't wait to try it and serve it with some fresh fruit.  So tonight I decided to try it out and serve it with some vanilla scented citrus and toasted coconut for a light dessert.  It was wonderful! 


The creamy coconut milk whipped cream was amazing, and it complimented the tart citrus and fragrant vanilla perfectly!  I topped it off with a bit of crunchy large flake coconut for crunch and it was delicious!  I have a feeling I will never go back to real whipped cream...


Vanilla Scented Citrus with Coconut Cream
Serves 2

2 grapefruits, cut into supremes and juice reserved
2 medium oranges, cut into supremes and juice reserved
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup grapefruit juice
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 vanilla bean, slit lengthwise and seeds scraped out

1/4 cup full fat coconut milk, chilled (from the top of the can, the thick part)
1 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1/4 cup toasted large flake coconut

Set supremes aside and keep cold in the fridge. 
In a saucepan, combine orange juice, grapefruit juice and any juices from the supremes plus maple syrup, vanilla bean seeds, and pod and bring to a low boil.  Let simmer until reduced to a syrup consistency, about 15-20 minutes and remove from heat and chill until cold.  Remove vanilla bean.
To make coconut whipped cream, chill a bowl and beaters in the freezer until very cold.  Add coconut milk to the bowl, and whip to soft peaks, then add maple syrup and vanilla and continue to beat to stiff peaks.
To assemble, place supremes into two martini glasses or dishes, and drizzle each with the vanilla scented citrus syrup.  Top each with the whipped coconut milk and sprinkle toasted coconut over.  Enjoy!
 

10 comments:

  1. Yes, a light dessert does sound especially good right now after the Christmas holiday. I like all things tropical so the fruit with the coconut is definitely agreeable with me. Thanks for sharing this, I am ready to go out and get some fresh fruit now-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous, colorful desert! I'd try this just for the coconut cream already :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The citrus just brightened my day - I am sated. The coconut milk is all the sweetness I need. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy!
    It's been my pleasure to read and drool your amazing recipes thoughts the year, can't wait to see what you have in store for 2012.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I`m as excited about the coconut cream as you are! And the combo with vanilla scented citrus is brilliant...can`t wait to try it...Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a perfect way to use that coconut whipped cream. Great idea. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great-looking lighter dessert--I have also been over-indulging lately, and am going to be leaning toward healthier recipes in the first part of next year. Have a great new year's eve!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I LOVE me some whipped coconut milk! LOL! This looks so tasty! I have some blood oranges at home... perhaps I'll make this for dessert tonight! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been eating so much grapefruit lately! This dessert looks wonderful and light. I love that idea of the whipped coconut milk. I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a guilt-free dessert to me :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete