Tuesday, December 20, 2011

White Christmas Martini



I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...hey, a girl can dream even though it has been 40 degrees in Minnesota, it is brown outside and there is no snow in the forecast in the next five days.  It just doesn't seem right to not be going nordic skiing, for walks in the snow, and staring out at the glittery white beauty.  I went for a walk after work today and saw a guy in shorts!  Really? 


Last year at this time we had plenty of fluffy white goodness outside and I was skiing at this point.  Since I can't have my snow and I can't control the weather, I thought I would create my own "White Christmas" in the form of a delicious drink. 


Eggnog sounded good, but I wanted a non-dairy version that didn't come from a carton.  So I came up with my own twist on the classic made creamy with coconut milk, spiced with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg and scented with vanilla and almond. 


It seems that people like different types of liquor in their eggnogs, but I decided to skip the rum and do a combination of cognac and bourbon which is what I have on hand.  It was the best eggnog I have ever had (if you can really call it that, but it is my blog so I will)! 


It was smooth and boozy but also contained light and beautiful flavors due to the vanilla and almond.  I garnished it with some nonpareils because I could and I just couldn't resist!  It tasted like Christmas, and a snowy White Christmas at that!  If I hadn't looked out the window I could have sworn we had snow.  If you are snow deprived as well, I have included the recipe if you wish to make a "White Christmas". If you have snow I am jealous, but you should still make yourself one.  Cheers!


White Christmas Martini
Makes 1

Rim:
2 Tbsp colored red and green nonpareils
1 Tbsp agave nectar

4-6 large ice cubes
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
3 oz bourbon
1 oz cognac
2 Tbsp vanilla bean syrup*
1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
a dash of cinnamon
nutmeg for sprinkling

To make rim, Spread sugar out on a small plate. Coat the rim of the martini glass with the agave syrup by dipping it into it on a plate, then dip the agave coated rim into the nonpareils and set aside. In a martini shaker add the ice, vanilla, almond extract, liquors, vanilla bean syrup, coconut milk, cinnamon and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour through a strainer into a the prepared martini glass, dust with a little nutmeg and serve!
 
*Vanilla Bean Syrup:

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup agave nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean

Heat water until boiling, remove from heat and whisk in agave nectar and vanilla beans, until nectar is dissolved. Chill well before using in drinks. Makes 1/2 cup syrup


14 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! So festive. Much lighter than eggnog too, I might have to try this for the holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! You should write a book, or better yet, open a restaurant, I'll be your partner. Classy drinks, small plates, neighborhood atmostphere, Minneapolis needs this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfectly festive drink! I could do with one of those right now to help with the gift wrapping....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so great! And I love that it's vegan, being lactose intolerant. I bet the coconut milk tastes great with the bourbon and cognac too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been unseasonably warm, hasn't it? Although it might not look very Christmas-y outside, this drink sure looks festive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The drink is exactly where I want my white. Last year's winter did me in for a few years. And this is so much prettier than long-term snow! Very clever. Very sweet. Wishing you a joyful holiday week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty with that candy rim on the glass--wishing you snow! I would send you some if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely holiday drink. This is my first visit to your blog so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really love the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. This snowy martini is lovely. Love those no-pariels on the rim. Also love the no egg. We don't see snow here in FL but I can pretend. Thanks for sharing this. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks scrumptious! I am getting snow right now and it's cold outside...so...Oh Ya! Looks like a holiday drink is in order! I don't have bourbon, but I do have Grand Marnier which I think will be pretty Christmasy! and I'm sure will warm me up! Luv your recipes, and have linked your blog to my new website: http://www.2healthandwellness.org/
    showing your festive foodies to all!
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and yours! Namaste Jwls

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope Santa brings you some snow this Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This drink looks so festive and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete