Monday, January 30, 2012

Banana Pineapple Cake...my first gluten free cake!


I have had a couple of gluten free flours in my pantry for a while now, but sadly I had not attempted to bake with them until last weekend.  You see, gluten free baking has intimidated me a bit.  I have heard the stories of overly dense dry gluten free baked goods, and they made me a bit scared.  But for some reason I decided to push the fears aside Saturday and try baking a cake.  I had coconut flour and almond flour and I thought they would be wonderful in a banana cake!  It would be vegan, so I wasn't sure how the flours would act without eggs, but I knew there would be no moisture problem with the banana in the cake batter!  I also wanted to try using coconut sugar as the sweetener for the cake because I had heard good things about it, but wasn't sure how it would affect the cake's texture either...so this was all one big experiment for me!  I had some pineapple so I thought, why not make the cake tropical and top it off with pineapple?!  As I put the cake in the oven and prayed that it would turn out as delicious as I imagined, I looked forward to seeing the result!


It smelled like the most wonderful sweet coconut banana bread as it baked!  When I pulled it out of the oven it appeared to have been a success!  The pineapple and coconut sugar that I topped it with turned into a caramel like layer suspending the fruit! Now the question was would it stay together, would it taste good and would it have good texture...yes to all three! 


It was moist and flavorful with sweet banana and pineapple with a hint of almond and toasted coconut.  There was a caramelly layer of pinapple on the top and it was marvelous!  I served it with a little whipped coconut cream and I was in heaven! 


I should know better than to be intimidated by any type of baking, afterall, experiments keep it fun and I have far more successes than messes.  I will be doing more gluten free experiments in the near future, I have a feeling!  If you would like to try the cake for yourself, here is the recipe!


Banana Pineapple Cake (Gluten Free)
Makes 1 9 inch round cake

3/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup almond flour
1 cup coconut sugar, maple sugar, or brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup pureed ripe banana
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup light coconut milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup diced fresh pineapple
additional coconut sugar for sprinkling

whipped coconut cream for serving (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and position rack in center of oven. Line one  9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides with parchment paper. Coat parchment paper and pan sides with nonstick spray. Whisk flours, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large bowl to blend well. Whisk bananas, oil, vanilla extract, and coconut milk together in small bowl to blend well, then whisk into the flour mixture until well blended. Whisk in lemon juice and stir quickly (pale swirls will be in the batter, which is the baking soda reacting with the acid, which allows the cake to rise since there are no eggs) stir in pineapple. Transfer cake batter to prepared pans and bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes to one hour depending on your oven. Cool cake in pan on rack, about 1 hour. Cut around sides of pan to loosen. Turn cake out onto platter, and peel off parchment paper. Let cool before serving. 

18 comments:

  1. I love coconut and almond flour for gluten free baking. I also normally mix in a little rice flour and either tapioca or potato starch to help it stick together! Pineapple and coconut sound like such a terrific combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this look so good! Love the flavor and combination. Well done Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely idea to use banana and pineapple together in a cake - never had this combination before.Must taste lovely and the flavors are really enticing:)Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that your are experimenting in the gluten free area. It is amazing how delicious some of the gluten free desserts are! This one looks no different, especially with the tropical flavors you included. It looks delicious with all that luscious pineapple on top-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this looks so moist and wonderful, Amy!! And gluten free, too? You can to it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate pineapple, but the cake looks fantastic nonetheless. Congratulations on having your first gluten-free baking success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done vegan cakes but never gluten-free. This looks wonderfully moist and inviting. Saving it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my favorite..YUMMY

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your first gluten free cake! It looks fantastic! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. holy cow girl! banana and pineapple together?! You just blew my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for shairng the recipe. I've baked lots of vegan cakes, but never a gluten free one - I think its time to try now. Thanks for sharing the recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks moist, yummy and totally appetizing--I think it's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How much vinegar is used? it is not listed:(
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No vinegar is used, just lemon juice. I made a typo, as a lot of my cakes use vinegar. Fixed it though :)!

      Delete
    2. thanks! I made it with the vinegar (because I was already in the process of making it )
      Did not use the lemon and mine turned out very mushy :(
      Do you think I didn't cook long enough? or was it the vinegar instead of lemon juice? The taste, by the way, was DELICIOUS!!!!
      thanks :)

      Delete
    3. The vinegar works the same. Did you use canned pineapple? It might have been more watery than the fresh if you did. Otherwise, it may have needed to cook longer. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for letting me know how it turned out :)!

      Delete
  14. Ok, I have this cake in the oven as I type this.
    I didn't have a lot of the ingredients (as usual when I find a great recipe!) - coconut oil, almond flour and coconut flour, so I just used regular gluten free self raising and rice oil.
    It smells delicious at the moment. Can't wait to take it out of the oven!

    If anyone is interested in more gluten free desserts.. my friend has a fantastic blog called Gluten Shmooten and she has some 'to die for' GF cakes! glutenshmooten.com.au

    Anyway.. back to waiting for my cake to cook!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome :)! So happy to hear you made the cake! Hope it worked out for you with the other flour. Thanks so much for visiting :)!

      Delete