Sunday, January 15, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Chipotle Cookies


I don't know if any of you have heard, but there is supposedly a peanut shortage this year...meaning less peanut butter and less peanutty goodness for us all.  What a tradgedy, as a peanut butter loving girl, hearing the news last week brought sadness to my heart!  What am I to do when I want some sticky creamy goodness on a piece of toast?  Or what about PB & J sammies?  Ok, so I am being a bit dramatic, and there is always almond butter, but since I have been alive I cannot remember ever having such a problem as no peanut butter.  Afterall, it is a staple in my cupboard.  I will admit, after hearing the news I stocked up on it so I will at least have some for a while.  Then I decided that I needed to make something with peanuts and peanut butter because all of the thinking about the peanut butter made me crave some.  Cookies were sounding really good, especially having been at work all day with a coworker who was baking delicious smelling cookies while I worked on my savory foods for the deli.  The chocolate ones especially so, which is why I decided that chocolate peanut cookies would be perfect! 


But they needed something a little different, my own twist on the classic pairing.  You see, I love chipotle with peanut butter, something my Mother taught me a while back when she first told me to sprinkle my peanut butter toast with a little ground chipotle powder.  The combination is amazing and she was onto something. 


Since chocolate and chipotle also are a match made in heaven, it was perfect!  Chocolate peanut chipotle cookies!  So I mixed together one of my vegan chocolate doughs, laced it with peanut butter and chipotle, and stirred in some salted roasted peanuts and plenty of chocoate chips. 


The dough was amazing...seriously, I am sure I ate a few cookies worth of it because it was very addictive and afterall, no risk of egg contamination with vegan dough! 


The cookies smelled wonderful as they baked as well, like brownies with a little something extra.  No use waiting until they were cooled to have a sample, warm cookies are one of the joys of life!  They were  scrumptious with the dark chocolate base with a slight kick of chipotle and the richness of peanut butter and the crunchy salty peanuts and gooey still melted chocolate chips!  I was quite pleased, and I almost forgot about the sadness of the peanut shortage!


Maybe you should stock up on peanut butter as well, and if you do, you should make these cookies, you will be happy you did!


Vegan Chocolate Peanut Chipotle Cookies
makes 1 1/2 dozen

Cookies:
1 cup maple sugar, or granulated organic sugar
2/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup well mashed very ripe organic bananas
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup agave nectar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp ground chipotle powder (or another 1/2 tsp if you love it like me)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 12 oz bag vegan chocolate chips
3 cups roasted salted peanuts
In a large bowl, combine buttery spread and coconut oil with sugar and beat until fluffy and well combined. Beat in the bananas, vanilla extract, almond extract, banana extract and agave nectar until well combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, then add to the large bowl, and mix until well combined. Mix in the chocolate, brittle and pecans, and place in the fridge to chill until firm. To bake, Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll balls into about 2 inch balls, and place on prepared cookie sheets a couple inches apart (refrigerate unused dough while baking the other trays). Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until puffed and just starting to brown slightly. Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining cookies.

14 comments:

  1. THis is such a awesome recipe..Thanks for posting

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow these cookies really have it all. I love the combination of chili and chocolate, one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh man, those would be gone in seconds in my house :) Lovely - I really adore chipotle spiced chocolate treats, and the peanuts sound jut perfect with a bit of saltiness :) Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even like spicy flavors, and yet these cookies still sound tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these would have been a big hit in my house. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe! When the peanuts fade away, just replace them with hazelnuts...those would be ultra good in this. nommmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love chocolate and spice, so these are definitely on my to do list. Very unique recipe and great looking cookie. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would so have eaten that dough right out of the bowl. The addition of the chipotle is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you - with three kids the price of peanut butter is absolutely killing me!! Argh... but I'm all about forgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a great idea! I can imagine how wonderful these taste; can you send some my way? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies look like I need to have them!! Love adding spice to chocolate recipes! Adding salted peanuts was such a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these, Amy! I've had chocolate with chipotle and it was so yummy, so I know I would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "like brownies with a little something extra" LOVE it! I want a bite ... or a dozen... whatever you can spare! :D

    ReplyDelete