Friday, January 20, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream with Sesame Peanut Brittle


There are some things in life that leave you wanting more, and some that leave you dissapointed and wishing you hadn't wasted your money or time on them... like food you expect to be good in a restaurant and it is taste less and gross.  Or shoes you order online then they don't fit and you can't return them.  Or a bad date you thought might go well.  For some reason or other me and my coworkers were discussing bad dates today, ones where you wonder what the guy was thinking asking you out in the first place.  Now, I think that if a guy asks you out he should at least offer to pay at the end of the date (you can decline it if you want, but at least he offered) as it is the gentlemanly thing to do.  Afterall he asked you out not the other way around.  So earlier this year I went on a coffee date with a guy and he did not offer to pay for my coffee and talked about himself the whole time. Needless to say there was not a second date and I definately did not call him.  I mean, a few dollars for a cup of coffee wouldn't have killed him...it just gives the impression that he is cheap or really doesn't care that much.  Don't worry, I have been on a lot better dates since then.  Also, thank goodness for all you guys out there who know how to treat a lady, you are appriciated even if we don't always tell you so!  Which brings me to the things you want more of in life, and guys who know how to treat a lady are definately on that list!  Delicious desserts are another thing, and a an important thing as far as I am concerned!  Like ice cream.  I cannot get enough of it!


It was -12F outside when I woke up yesterday morning, so cold that I ran on my treadmill not wanting to venture out, and yet I am still hungry for ice cream.  Crazy, yes, but I make crazy good ice cream!


My latest, using things that I had on hand in my kitchen was peanut butter banana ice cream with some sesame peanut brittle...it was so addictive, and I definately wanted more, and wil make it again soon! 


The base was my vegan coconut milk ice cream with sweet ripe bananas and creamy peanut butter... so increadibly silky and smooth with a hint of banana and a richness from the peanut butter.  It was not something that you have a scoop of and put it down.  You think you are going to then you go back for a large bowl is more like it!  The brittle garnish was delicious as well with the toasty sesame seeds and crunchy peanuts, perfect in contrast to the smooth ice cream, but I should warn, addictive as well! 


I have included the recipe if you would like some!  I am all for forgetting about the things in life that weren't everything I had hoped, but this ice cream was all I could have hoped for and more!  Happy Friday everyone!


Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream with Sesame Peanut Brittle
Makes about 4+ cups

3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
1 cup peanut butter
2 very ripe bananas
3/4 cup agave nectar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp sea salt
sesame peanut brittle to serve (recipe follows)
Combine all ingredients in a blender and combine with all ingredients except brittle, and process until well blended.  Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, pour into a freezable container with a lid and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.  Serve with sesame peanut brittle
Sesame Peanut Brittle:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups roasted peanuts
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
Lay out a piece of foil and spray with non-stick spray.  Heat sugar over high heat in a non-stick skillet with sea salt, until sugar begins to melt.  Stir with a rubber spatula to evenly melt sugar and add almonds and seeds.  Stir to coat, and pour onto foil, spreading into a thin layer.  Let cool completely.  Break into pieces (about a cup broken into very small pieces to be stirred into ice cream), you will have extra for serving and snacking.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my Amy - I could sit by the fire and just gorge. This is over-the-top - and am sending this around to cybersphere and to some family members who can only have vegan ice cream because of allergies. And then I am saving this for myself just because it looks so good. And that sesame peanut brittle - it's a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fabulous-looking, definitely not disappointing dessert. Sorry to hear about your bad date. I had my share of them before I got married--I shudder just thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to try a vegan ice cream --this looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of disappointing, I'm really disappointed I don't have that ice cream in front of me right now :0

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't keep up with all your amazing ice cream flavors! I'd love to sample them all...but since I'm wearing my coat in the house right now, I think I'd have to wait till our temps rose at least above freezing :)

    PS...what a jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, sounds like you made the right decision by not going on a second date with that guy… but at least there's always ice cream, and ice cream knows how to treat a lady! Both the brittle and ice cream look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too was wanting ice cream today, but it was like 65 out here. You and your crazy -12 eating ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this ice cream looks absolutely delicious! the presentation looks like it's right out of an ice cream parlor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That look so very amazingly delicious!! I want!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would want much more than one dish of this dessert. I normally have my ice cream maker nicely out of sight by February but I think it needs to make a reappearance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks wonderfully indulgent, and the brittle is the perfect touch :) Love the sesame in it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could eat ice cream pretty much any time of the year! It's one of my favorite things ever! I love peanut butter and bananas, especially together so I would probably eat all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That peanut brittle looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete