Friday, January 27, 2012

Seeded Maple Granola


There was a time in my life when I made granola just about every week.  Nothing compares to home made granola, and I am a granola snob...refusing to buy it from the store.  I had to have it on hand to snack on, it was so addictive and delicious!  Now, sadly it had been about half a year since I had made any.  So I thought it was about time I did!  I had been looking for something in the fridge earlier this week when I realized that I had an over abundance of seeds of all sorts.  And what better a use for them than in a delicious granola! 


I thought a maple flavored granola sounded wonderful as well, so I used maple syrup as my main sweetener.  I find that it makes the crunchiest most delicious granola.  Along with the seeds, I decided to throw in walnuts for more crunch, and toasted coconut for sweetness as well as some dried fruit. 
Of course the aroma in my house was amazing while this was baking...and sampling it while still warm from the oven was the best part!  It was so addictive I had to keep going back for a spoonful.  Good thing I made a big batch! 


If you are a granola lover yourself, you must try this, and if you have never made home made you are in for a real treat!  Here is the recipe if you would like some!


Seeded Maple Granola
Makes about 14 cups of delicious granola

6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups walnuts
2 cups sunflower seeds
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
2 cups large flake coconut
3/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp maple sugar
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp maple extract
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups dried cranberries
2 cups golden raisins


Line a large baking sheet with non-stick foil, and spray with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 and set rack at the medium position. In a large bowl, combine oats, walnuts, seeds, and coconut, and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together oil, maple syrup, maple sugar, sea salt, maple and vanilla extracts until well combined, then pour over oat mixture and toss to coat until completely blended. Pour out onto prepared baking sheet, and spread out evenly. Bake for 35 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes or so until the granola is evenly browned. Remove from oven and let cool. Stir in cranberries and raisins, and enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! NOTHING compares to homemade granola!!! Love the maple flavor in this one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore home-made granola! That's a lot of seeds in this one! I like seeds in bread, but I don't like snacking on them raw, so maybe this would be a nice way of forgoing the baked stuff but having sweetness there to make me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious! I've never tried making homemade granola, but I really want to because i feel like most of the granola I find in stores (even health store) is highly processed and overly sweet. Not to mention, I could customize it to my own liking. Its probably much cheaper to make it anyways.

    Bookmarking this so i can try it out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have every right to be a granola snob with this one, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make granola every winter and lost the habit. I may just pick it up again with this recipe - I adore seeds and like it not on the sweet side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't made granola in a while, but you're inspiring me to try it again. This has a great combination of flavors and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh!! I love granola. I could easily put down to big ole bowls of this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want about 14 bowls of this. That would of course kill any idea of nutrition but that would be ok cause I LOVE granola and this one looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love granola and this one is no exception! sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have nothing else to say but, YES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUMMY YUMMY

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am ready to have some of this for breakfast. Love the choices you made here for the blend. Maple is a great flavor for all these goodies. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, how I love granola...and the more seeds the better!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love making homemade granola too and always love finding new recipes. I love that you used coconut oil in this! Yes, homemade granola is SO addicting. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Id love to try this! The granola as a cereal with the sunflower seeds sounds pretty good :) Good post!

    ReplyDelete