Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Vanilla Scented Blueberries and Lemon Curd with Coconut Cream


I love lemon curd so much I could simply eat it by the spoonful unadorned.  That silky tart yellow lemony goodness is something I love to make in the winter when there is a lack of sunshine and anything lemon brings me joy.  I sandwich cookies together with it, use it to fill cakes, and my favorite use, serve it with other fresh fruit.  Last weekend I was given a bunch of fresh blueberries, and I thought what better to serve them with than some delicious lemon curd! 


Since I had an over abundance of lemons on my counter as well, it was a marvelous idea!  So I made a batch of vegan lemon curd laced with vanilla and was about to toss the berries into a bowl when I though...you know what would be even better?  Whipped cream!  But not dairy whipped cream, coconut whipped cream.  Vanilla scented coconut whipped cream, all light and fluffy with a flavor sweeter than dairy whipped cream.  I layered the berries, curd, and cream into a bowl and it was beautiful but it needed some crunch so I added some toasted large flake coconut to put it over the top! 


It was rather simple but so good!  Sweet blueberries, tart silky lemon curd, and smooth fluffy fragrant coconut cream and crunchy coconut flakes on top!  Sometimes simplest is best in my mind. 
If you would like to enjoy the deliciousness for yourself, here is the recipe I created.


Vanilla Scented Blueberries and Lemon Curd with Coconut Cream
Serves 3

Curd:
1 Tbsp organic lemon zest
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1Tbsp full fat coconut milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp coconut oil

Blueberries:
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 1/2 Tbsp agave nectar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
seeds of half a vanilla bean (reserve the rest for the whipped cream)

Coconut whipped cream:
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk, chilled (from the top of the can, the thick part)
seeds of half a vanilla bean (reserved from berries
2 tsp agave nectar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

To make the curd, combine zest, agave nectar, cornstarch, and sea salt in a medium pot, and whisk until combined and smooth. Whisk in lemon juice, and heat over medium high heat whisking constantly until thickened to a curd or pudding like consistency, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in coconut milk, coconut oil, and vanilla. Pour into a bowl, and let chill in the fridge until cool.
For the blueberries, combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine, set aside in the fridge. 
To make coconut whipped cream, chill a medium bowl and beaters in the freezer until very cold.  Add coconut milk to the bowl, and whip to soft peaks, then add agave nectar vanilla beans and vanilla and continue to beat to stiff peaks. 
To assemble, put a half of the blueberries into the bottom of 3 bowls, then top with half of the curd, then half of the cream.  Repeat with the blueberries, curd and cream.  Doesn't have to be fancy, just make sure there is an equal amount of each in each bowl.  Top off with toasted coconut and enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. I really do like the flavors you pulled together here. Very creative use of lemon curd! I have all the ingredients except the agave, I may just get some just to try this dessert. Keep these delicious posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! Blueberries and coconut are perfect together - and I love that you toasted the coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel as you do about lemon curd, it is great on most everything. What I also love is that you always come up with a little lagniappe (something extra) to take your recipes over the top. The toasted coconut really seals the deal. My kinda treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, the coconut cream has me drooling alone! Sounds amazing :) Blueberries seem like the perfect topping, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This gave me a bit of summer today! I could spoon-feed myself lemon curd also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a whole bowl of goodness right there! I had no idea coconut milk could be whipped like cream too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally YUMMY

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so dreamy! I love lemon curd.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could also just eat spoonfuls of lemon curd--this looks great, and lemon and blueberry are such a perfect combo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, this curd looks sooo delicious. I can have a couple serving of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow .... this sounds fantastic!! I love all the flavours and textures you've meshed together ~ yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That SO reminds me of a tart I had recently at one of the bakeries that I love. There was a little coconut in the crust, it was filled with lemon curd, topped with berries, and dusted with a little powdered sugar. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that idea and seriously love everything in that recipe! YUMMY :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was SO excited to see that your lemon curd is vegan! Mamma mia! With the vanilla, blueberry, and coconut! MOUTH IS WATERING! What would we do without coconut milk!??!?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, gosh, these flavors sound so fabulous together! Will you ever run out of amazing combinations???? I think not!

    ReplyDelete