Monday, January 16, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles with Fleur de Sel



I don't know about all of you, but I enjoy eating cookie dough just as much as baked cookies.  I always ignored the warnings about raw eggs, as I secretly swiped spoonfulls of dough from my Grandmother's cookie dough bowl when her back was turned as a child in her kitchen.  Good thing I never got sick, and I admit that I haven't made a batch of cookies myself as an adult without "sampling", ok more like indulging in the dough.  Good thing pretty much the majority of the cookie dough that I make in recent years is vegan, or contains no eggs, and therefore no risk of contamination. 


As I was enjoying some cookie dough last weekend for a batch of cookies, I was thinking how wonderful it would be if I made some just for enjoying in that form.  However, dough balls themselves are a bit messy, and would stick together once stored...so I thought dipping them in chocolate and having them be "truffle" style would be perfect!


Now, I know these probably don't qualify as truffles but who says I can't call them that on my own recipe. I was just about drooling at the thought of them.  But, what would make them even better in my mind was a little fleur de sel.  Salty and sweet is just an irrisistable combination to me especially with dark chocolate! 


So I made my recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookie dough, omiting the rising ingredients, since they wouldn't be needed and went to work! 


I will admit I ate quite a few of the dough balls before they were dipped in the chocolate because I just couldn't wait, and of course I needed to be sure they were up to my standards! 



Once finished they were even better though, with the extra chocolate shell, and sea salt on top!  Who knew cookie dough could be even better than it already was.


If you are like me and you cannot resist cookie dough, you must try this, so I have included the recipe.  Happy Monday and don't deprive yourself of good cookie dough, enjoy!


Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles with Fleur De Sel
Makes about 28

1 cup maple sugar, or granulated organic sugar
2/3 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup pureed silken tofu
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup agave nectar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp fleur de sel sea salt
1 12 oz bag vegan chocolate chips
10 oz vegan chocolate, chopped
fleur de sel

In a large bowl, combine coconut oil with sugar and beat until fluffy and well combined. Beat in the tofu, vanilla extract and agave nectar until well combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, then add to the large bowl, and mix until well combined. Mix in the chocolate chips, and place in the fridge to chill until firm. Once firm, roll into small 1 1/2 inch balls, and place in the freezer for about 1/2 an hour.  Meanwhile, melt the 10 oz chopped chocolate in 30 second intervals in the microwave until smooth, stirring between each heating.  Lay out a piece of non-stick foil.  Dip dough balls one by one into the melted chocolate letting the excess drain off and place on the foil.  Sprinkle with a litttle fleur de sel and repeat with remaining dough balls. Place in the fridge to set chocolate and enjoy!  Refrigerate truffles for up to a week (that is if they last that long).

24 comments:

  1. Oh wow, these look fantastic! I love that you used tofu in these - I'm bookmarking this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is the most gorgeous and scrumptious truffle i have seen in a while! the center looks so soft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I love salty cookie dough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy...can't wait to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look lovely, everything you make does.
    Pardon my ignorance, or perhaps it's a US thing, but what is Fleur de Sel? I'm presuming it's salt, sea salt, but what's so speacial about this particular type?
    Bearing in mind I live in Canberra (and assuming I cannot buy it here) should I omit it from the recipe? Or use something else in it's place?
    Any suggestions would b greatly appreciated.
    Cheers, Nina

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a heavenly flaked sea salt. If you can find flaked sea salt that's fine :)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous truffles. The recipe is so cool. Can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is totally yummy recipe...I am loving it dear..Will try it soon..

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, YES they DO qualify as truffles!!!! lol! I want, oh, how I want! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. the recipe is really nice
    i will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow wow wow wow. I have very happy memories of cookie dough sandwiches! This recipe looks gorgeous, I can't wait to try out the recipe! Thanks for sharing:0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are wonderful--I love that there's no raw egg fear in eating the dough, not that that ever stops me. Plus chocolate and sea salt is an irresistible combo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your truffle, and i think that's more awesome with your vegan chocolate chip cookie dough, at least it will resist our guilty pressure when we it it

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Silken tofu! Love this truffle - and loving the idea of a cookie-dough truffle - I have a family that will fight over this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look fantastic but I can't figure out where you add in the tofu? Am I missing it?
    mightyvegan.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. You add the tofu with the wet ingredients, after the oil and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  18. those are some pretty looking chocolate truffles. Love the tofu addition!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm, nothing makes me happier than eating pure cookie dough.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an interesting truffle! I'm feeling a craving hit me =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Help!!! I'm making this right now; baking powder is mentioned in the recipe, but it doesn't say how much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These actually have no baking powder, it is a typo because I was using my cookie dough recipe to make these..so just omit it ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was in panic mode there for a minute, but then I thought, duh-these aren't baked, why would you need baking powder, and then I read the recipe more thoroughly and saw your mention of omitting the rising agents. Whew. So these turned out great! I couldn't get a hold of Fleur de sel, but I found a spanish finishing sea salt. It's more coarse than flaked but it worked well, and everyone freaked out over these! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete