Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Piña Colada Ice Cream




Pineapple and coconut is such an amazingly heavenly combination and yet I have to admit, the piña coladas served in most restaurants make me cringe.  I cannot stand when places use a mix instead of good quality ingredients in a drink and load it with so much artificial stuff it no longer tastes like real coconut and pineapple.  I have made some really good ones at home using real pineapple and coconut milk, and luckilly those ones allow me to forget about the horrible commercial drink mix ones.  If you have had a real one you know what I mean!  


I was given a pineapple the other day, and I got to thinking a piña colada would be heavenly...but what would be even better, if I made it into a dessert with ice cream!  I thought about it for a while, and although I could have just made a smoothie, a vanilla coconut ice cream swirled with some rum laced pineapple jam would be even better!  I am a big fan of ice cream with swirls of deliciousness in it!  


So I made my coconut milk base with vanilla and a touch of rum and the base itself was amazing but what is a piña colada without pineapple.  So for the pineapple swirl, I cooked down some pineapple until jammy with a bit of agave nectar and lime, then added some vanilla and of course a good amount of rum!  


Once the ice cream was all assembled, had firmed up in the freezer a was all ready to taste I was quite excited to say the least.  Yes, I get quite excited when it comes time to tasting my desserts!  It was wonderful!  The coconut vanilla base was silky, creamy and coconutty, perfect with the jammy rummy sweet pineapple swirl throughout it!  I even got a little naughty and poured some rum over it which was fabulous!  It was the best "piña colada" I have ever had!  If you would like to enjoy some of this delicious ice cream for yourself, here is the recipe!  Cheers!


Piña Colada Ice Cream 
Makes 6 cups

Pineapple Rum Swirl:
24 oz fresh pineapple, chopped
3/4 cup agave nectar
juice of one lime
a pinch of sea salt
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2-3 Tbsp dark rum
To make jam, combine all ingredients except vanilla and rum in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.   Cook until pineapple is  jammy and have falling apart, and juices have reduced about 45 minutes to an hour.  Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender.  Add vanilla and 2-3 Tbsp rum depending on how boozy you like it.  Pour into a jar and let cool.  You will have extra from the ice cream but it is a wonderful topper for other desserts.  Store in the fridge for up to 3 months. 
Ice Cream:
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
3/4 cup agave nectar
2 tsp rum
1 tsp coconut extract
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender, and process until well blended.  Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, pour 1/3 into a freezable container with a lid, then drop a few large Tbsp pineapple rum swirl on top.  Pour half remaining ice cream over, then more pineapple, then the remaining ice cream and more pineapple.  Swirl with a knife to distribute jam throughout and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.



9 comments:

  1. These days things you buy at the grocers can be so far from the real true taste of things, we fall into the trap of never missing it.
    Glad you are bringing the real back in this ice cream recipe. Definitely a keeper! This is also a flavor that takes me back to the days at the beach. Thanks for this one Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah....I'd happily eat a big fat bowl of this yummy ice cream! Another wonderful flavor combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This could just be my new favorite ice cream flavor. We had the best pina coladas on our honeymoon and now nothing compares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That waiting a few hours to put in the freezer is THE longest few hours ever! Half the time I end up eating a bowl of semi-frozen ice cream because I'm too impatient!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like pineapple, but I know a bunch of people that would adore this creation of yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pina coladas (real ones, that is!) so this is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! I really need to get myself an ice cream maker. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pina colada ice cream sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete