Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pomegranate Blood Orange Hibiscus Margarita




Yesterday was National Margarita day.  How could I not celebrate!  So of course I had to enjoy a refreshing margarita.  Now, I suppose I could have just gone out and bought one somewhere, because of course there are plenty of places you can get a cheap one.  But I am super picky, so if I am going to shell out a dime for one it better be quality aka not made from a mix and containing real fruit juice.  


Places which make these quality ones are few and far between when you consider all the places that serve margaritas. Also, I am not a fan of the ice filled ones...it bugs me when drinks are full of ice and not liquor.  I have to say, the best margarita I have ever had besides my own was one (or two) at Masa in Minneapolis for my 21st Birthday.   They used real fruit in theirs and they were not overly sweet, just the way they should be.  They were not classic margaritas however, but twists on the classic like guava and mango.  


Although I make a good classic margarita with nothing but tequila, lime and orange with a little agave, I decided that I wanted something with a little seasonal twist on it last night.  


Pomegranate, blood orange hibiscus is what I decided on.  It was a wonderful tweak on the margarita!  Slightly sweet pomegranate, but not too sweet, and citrusy from the orange and lime juice I added, as well as floral from the hibiscus agave syrup.  I was pleased, and the drink was lovely to look at as well before it was enjoyed!  If you would like one for yourself, here is the recipe!


Pomegranate Blood Orange Hibiscus Margarita
Makes 1

Rim:
Pink and red sugar
agave nectar

Drink:
6 large ice cubes
4 oz tequila blanco
2 oz pomegranate juice
1 oz blood orange juice
1 oz fresh lime juice
1 1/2 oz hibiscus syrup*

To garnish rim, place some sugar on a plate, then some agave nectar on another plate.  Dip your glass into the agave nectar, letting excess drip off, then dip in the sugar.  Set aside in the freezer while you make the drink.  
To make drink, in a martini shaker add the ice, tequila, pomegranate juice, orange juice, lime juice, hibiscus syrup, and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour the drink through a strainer into the prepared glass, and serve!

*Hibiscus syrup
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup filtered water
2 Tbsp dried hibiscus flowers
Combine all ingredients in a jar, put the lid on and shake to dissolve agave nectar.  Let sit at least a day to infuse, then strain to remove flowers.  Store in the fridge for up to a month. 

15 comments:

  1. Remarkably impressive! The colors, flavors, presentation - all designed perfectly. Lovely concoction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! And I had no idea there was a national margarita day. I filed to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do love when pancake day is over and we think all the fun days stop there. Cheers to your amazing looking cocktail, Amy. Drooling over this, trying to imagine these wonderful flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm highly in favor of any day that celebrates a cocktail :) Not much of a tequila girl, though, so we usually do rum daiquiris instead. I love the half rim of sugar idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful cocktail! i love finding new ways to use hibiscus flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We also have hibiscus flowers here. What a pretty drink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do have a talent with cocktails-yum! I have recently got very hooked on blood oranges, so this is a welcome sight. I imagine a party at your place would have the most unforgettable drinks as well as food. Awesome picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the same way about drinks - plus they're so expensive for a good one. I'd rather spend the same money buying the bottles of alcohol and make them exactly how I want at home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll take two, please! I just love your cocktails, and this is no exception! My mouth is watering... It's been a long week...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was national margarita day & I missed it! I could totally use a margarita right now and this looks like the tastiest version I have ever seen! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fruity margs and this one looks SO good! Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to celebrate National Margarita day! This looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one good looking drink! It bugs me too when they use loads of ice & skimp on the booze! Love the flavor combination Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful! And the flavors sound just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. National Margarita day?! How does one keep track of all this? It was National Banana Bread day a while ago. With this good looking cocktail, I'm going to make it National Cocktail day everyday!

    ReplyDelete