Sunday, February 26, 2012

Vegan Citrus Chocolate Chunk Cookies with a secret ingredient...


In the deli where I work, every time there is a pot of white beans cooking on the stove one of my coworker's always says, "Uh oh...Amy has a big pot of white beans again!" Even if they are not mine, it is assumed they are.  This is because I am known for always using white beans at work, and they even labled the big bin of white beans "Amy's White Beans" once because I probably use 75% of the bin in my cooking.  They may tease me about it, but I heard recently that white beans are supposed to be quite nutritious, so I am on to something!  Actually, I credit my frequent white bean use to my Mother, who always would buy white beans when I was little.  I grew up with them being the main bean used in cooking, as many of her recipes were italian based and they went well in them.  


My coworkers were teasing me about the beans last week, and it got me to thinking more about them.  I was in a daydreaming sort of mood on Friday and desserts to make this weekend were a big part of the daydreams.  I know people use black beans in brownies, but why not use white beans in something?  At frist I thought maybe blondies, but I decided I didn't want to make bars, so cookies it would be!


But what to pair with white beans?  Well, it didn't really matter because they have no flavor in the cookies, just add nutrition and texture.  So, I decided on citrus!  I had oranges, lemons and limes and it is the season to use them, so it was a great idea!  I didn't want the cookies to be too plain, however so I thought I would add some chopped dark chocolate because it goes so beautifully with citrus.  To the unsuspecting eater, they would simply taste like upscale chocolate chip cookies (the citrus and dark chocolate chunks being the upscale). 


The dough was amazing!  Yes, I always eat a good amount of it, and I wanted to make sure the beans were undetectable.  Plus, I cannot wait to try it until the next day when I bake the cookies because it has to chill overnight for best results.  But seriously, it was like extra delicious cookie dough all smooth and citrusy with rich chocolate bits!


Once the cookies were baked, I admit I tried one after it was only out of the oven for about a minute...you know, where you break off a piece and blow on it because it is still so warm.  But it was amazing!  It was soft and citrusy, buttery from the coconut oil and the chocolate was still gooey and melty!  I had to have another once they had cooled a little more, but the chocolate remained liquid for quite a while making them extra delicious! 


You would not know they had beans in them at all, which was the idea, but they were still there making the cookies hold together and be delicious!  If you don't believe me, you can make them for yourself, as I have included the recipe.  But I will warn you, you will eat a lot of dough should you decide to taste it, and you will eat a lot of warm cookies while they are cooling because they are irrisistable with the aroma of citrus and chocolate they create in your kitchen!


Vegan Citrus Chocolate Chunk White Bean Cookies
makes 1 1/2 dozen

Cookies:
1 cup maple sugar, or granulated organic sugar
2/3 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup cooked, pureed white beans
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp orange extract
1 Tbsp organic orange zest
1 Tbsp organic lemon zest
1 Tbsp organic lime zest
1/2 cup agave nectar
2 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
8 oz vegan dark chocolate, chopped

In a food processor, combine coconut oil, sugar, beans, vanilla extract, orange extract, zests, and agave nectar and process until well combined (alternatively place in a bowl and use an immersion blender), then scrape mixture into a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, then add to the large bowl, and mix until well combined. Mix in the chocolate, and place in the fridge to chill until firm, preferrably overnight. To bake, Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll balls into about 2 1/2 inch balls, and place on prepared cookie sheets a couple inches apart (refrigerate unused dough while baking the other trays). Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until puffed and just starting to brown slightly. Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining cookies.

21 comments:

  1. Yum - these cookies look fantastic! I love the idea of using healthy ingredients/proteins in baked goods and will definitely remember to try it out sometime. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound wonderful. I would rather put beans in a dessert before tofu any day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOTALLY digging the secret ingredient! You get protein and a sweet treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I love your secret ingredient!! You always hear about black beans, I've never even thought to try out white beans. I love the citrus chocolate combo with these too, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love white beans, but just never used them in a baked good. That comment that they do not impart any flavor, does surprise me! I love the chocolate and the citrus though. Your cookies do look like they are big and fluffy too. Considering both of these statements, I would say you have a winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so smart! I'm always looking for ways to bake without butter. Genius! Cookies I can eat are always good cookie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for a healthy and yummy cookie! Also, congrats on your guest post at Tiff's blog being in the top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks delicious...

    Aarthi
    http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look perfect! And if the dough tastes good, then I know the cookies will taste good :) I'm always game for a healthier dessert~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a great believer in white beans for appetizers, main dishes and baking. I love how these look and if I had coconut oil - I'd be pulling out pots and pans right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, these look amazing! I love chocolate chunk cookies, there's something even better about chunks than chips. I love bean brownies, so why not cookies? Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great stroke of genius using beans in these cookies - if brownies, why not cookies? And maple syrup as well? You are too good :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy, this is clever and good for you at being teased and coming up with something crafty. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These cookies look sooooo good. Love the different kinds of zest in the cookies and I would have never of guessed they have beans in them! So creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, oh my! I totally want to try these. The secret ingredient is AWESOME! I'm sitting down with a piece of fresh cornbread...which is helping alleviate the hunger pains after reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adding citrus to this cookie was a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmmm. Sounds great! I've seen recipes on blogs for cookie "hummus" which is similar, but they use chickpeas instead of white beans and no flour. I tried it and wasn't so into it, but I think it's because I'm not a raw cookie dough lover. But your idea of BAKING it and the addition of the citrus sounds so wonderful! I'm sure I would love this ( as would the rest of the family). I love that it has extra fiber and protein in it as well! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are definitely the best looking hidden bean cookies I have ever seen. I'm thinking one of them would be awesome with my tea this morning. YUM! (I came over from Chef Dennis, btw) Have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just made these. They are soooooo delicious. Absolutely love them. Thanks so much for posting this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beans are really so versitile! I love using them in brownies, but I haven't used them in cookies yet. I'm definitely bookmarking your recipe---I love the citrus accent with the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  21. In this case, the Miniature Grand Canyon is located high in the Monitor Range on the Telefonsex east
    side of the toilet I began laying the brown paper bag counter click HERE to see that post.
    So I picked up my 5 D and the Mark II, replaced by a similar
    noise to the 7 D which I think is a telefonsex little rattly and doesn't feel that reassuring.

    ReplyDelete