Monday, February 13, 2012

Vegan Raspberry Rose Truffles


I am sure many of you have heard the quote "Life is like a box of chocoates, you never know what you are gonna get" from the movie "Forrest Gump."  When I think about that quote, I can't help but think...if life is like a box of chocolates, I hope I get the dark chocolate truffle and not the cherry cordial or nougat (because I don't care for those two).  Well, I may not be able to guaruntee that I get the metaphorical dark chocolate truffles in life, but I can guaruntee I get to eat them.  I have always enjoyed the truffle boxes where you can pick out the variety you want.  My favorites are always the unusual ones like key lime pie or dark chocolate ginger or coffee...I don't care much for milk chocolate or overly sweet ones like orange cream.  The best chocolates I have ever eaten in my life were a variety of Leonida's dark chocolates that I bought while in Belgium.  They were the most melt in your mouth delicious things ever! 

I know it is a Valentine's tradition to give chocolates, and I can't help but imagine how wonderful it would be if I ever met a guy who would know how to make me some instead of buying them on Valentine's Day.  It would make them all the more special (even if they weren't as perfect) as hand made gifts always melt my heart.  I know it is a far reach to ever have that happen but hey, a girl can dream.  But for now I will make my own.  Which is what I did this year since I have no actual sweetheart. 


I don't know quite how I thought up the combination for a flavor I chose to make, but I decided on dark chocolate raspberry rose.  I am fascinated with rose in desserts lately and I thought the subtle flavor would be lovely in a truffle!  The raspberry just sounded good with the dark chocolate. 


Also, I have been wanting to experiment with vegan truffles lately and substitute coconut milk for the heavy cream so now would be my chance.  I have heard that it turns out fabulous but I am one that needs to find out for myself.  Afterall, what is the worst that can happen, they turn out ugly and I get to eat them...no harm done! 


Making them was really quite simple.  I decided that I needed to add real raspberries instead of just raspberry flavor, yes seeds and all (because I actually like the texture), so I whisked those into the ganache along with some rosewater to provide the floral rose note.  Then the base just had to chill for an hour before I rolled it into truffles (I love that the process does not take a long time so I can indulge faster). 


I then rolled them, making my hands smell like the most delicious raspberry chocolate for hours later.  They chilled for a short time in the freezer, then I simply coated them in melted dark chocolate.  I suppose I could have left them unadorned...but I am not one to do so.  Everything needs to be pretty even if it is just myself I am sharing the truffles with.  So I decided to top them with little edible dried roses which were quite beautiful atop the truffles! 


They were delicious when I tried the finished product!  As if I didn't know because I had popped a few of the unfinished ones before putting them in the freezer, but we will pretend I didn't.  The inside tasted of intense slightly tart sweet real raspberry in the smooth rich dark chocolate base with a light flavor of rose as the final note.  So delcious and I wouldn't have minded recieving a box of them if someone had given them to me (who am I kidding I would have been extremely happy and not shared).  Don't worry, I wasn't selfish and since they turned out beautifully I shared them. 


If you would like to impress someone, you should make them a batch of these (and hope they share them with you).  Here is the recipe if you would like some!

Vegan Raspberry Rose Truffles
Makes about 20

3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
10 oz vegan dark chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup frozen raspberries, thawed and drained of all liquid
1/2 tsp rosewater
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Dried roses (edible) optional
Place the finely chopped chocolate in medium heat-safe bowl and set aside. Heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until it is just under a boil then remove from heat and pour the hot coconut milk over the chopped chocolate and whisk them together along with berries, rosewater and vanilla extract until the chocolate is melted and it becomes a smooth ganache. Press a layer of plastic wrap directly on top of the ganache, and refrigerate it until it is firm enough to scoop and roll, about 1 hour. If you wait too long it will get very stiff and hard to work with, so check it after an hour to make it easy to shape the truffles. Use a spoon to form small balls from the ganache, and roll them between your hands to get them round.  Place them on a foil lined baking sheet and place in the freezer until firm.  To make coating, melt the remaining 8 oz chocolate in the microwave until it is smooth and fluid (stirring after 30 second intervals). Using forks or dipping tools, dip a truffle until it is completely submerged in the melted coating, then bring it up out of the coating and tap the fork against the lip of the bowl to remove excess. Place the truffles on a foil-covered baking sheet, and while it is still wet, top each with a rose if desired.  repeat with remaining truffles and place sheet in the refrigerator to set the coating for about 15 minutes. They are best served at room temperature.

16 comments:

  1. I thought these looked delicious and then I scrolled down and saw what they looked like inside! These look fantastic! So perfect for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These truffles look beautiful! Love the rosewater too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygoodlordgod.

    These are simply genius! I never would have thought of using whole raspberries, I would have used raspberry jam or something. I must try these sometime, and the coconut milk! Fabulous idea.

    #youareagenius

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is probably the first post I have seen in which real fruit is used in a truffle recipe! Very impressive recipe here. I really love the blend of ingredients as well as flavors-this is definitely a winner. Awesome pictures. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my heaven! Amazing! I'd rather have these than a sweetheart any day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those! So much chocolate... they are just perfect :) And the little roses on top is a beautiful addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW..I love this..Thanks for posting it Dear..

    Aarthi
    http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous Amy. If you set up a shop - you'd have none left.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you for making something I can eat...and make tonight :) simply gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look incredible, and the flavors sounds amazing. Love the flowers :) Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yumm.. u knows its vday when the you see chocolste and pink everywhere:) i love that fudgy middle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious, Amy! I love that touch of Rosewater

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are gorgeous! And that picture with them split down the middle... yum! The inside of those truffles looks so delicious, these sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy, seriously! I'm in love with these truffles! The chocolates themselves are perfectly rustic and gorgeous, but the little rose buds on top - amazing... I have featured this post in today's Friday Food Fetish roundup. Let me know if you have any objections and thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not sure what happened to mine. I followed the recipe exactly, but the ganache isn't hardening. I've had them in the fridge for almost 2 hours and the mixture isn't firming. It's more like the consistency of pudding. I used all fresh ingredients too. Anyone know what might have happened?

    ReplyDelete