Saturday, April 28, 2012

Strawberry Hibiscus Margarita


Yesterday I was overjoyed when 4:00 rolled around...it meant the week was over and I would have a bit of me time...at least until Monday returned.  It had been quite the crazy day at work for me.  Crazy buzy that is... lots of food to make in the deli and things tripping me up and keeping me from getting it done.  The worst of which was chicken broth almost spilling into the 20 lbs of sweet potatoes I had just cubed for a salad.  I would have cried had it happened as I would have had to toss it and start all over.  But oh well, the salad got finished and I survived and got all I needed to done.  I could tell I had a long day when I was shopping for my groceries before leaving work and I accidentally grabbed another woman's cart and started walking away with it.  Luckilly she noticed because my groceries were much better than hers!  I decided I needed a margarita...so I made one! 


A Strawberry Hibiscus Margarita...since I had just bought some fresh strawberries on sale!  I already had hibiscus syrup on hand and I thought it would give the margarita a lovely color along with the red berries plus contribute a floral note. 


I opted for lemon juice instead of lime to be a little different.  Afterall, I wasn't going for a classic margarita but rather an Amy style one...with my own spin.  I was not in the type of mood to follow a recipe. 


It was delicious and refreshing!  The strawberries were sweet, the tequila smooth and the hibiscus fragrant...it went down quick and I could only wish I had another to enjoy!  If you would like one for yourself, I have included the recipe.  I hope you all are having a lovely weekend!


Strawberry Hibiscus Margarita
Makes 1
kosher salt for rim
Drink:
6 large ice cubes
4 oz tequila blanco
2 oz strawberry puree
1 oz fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 oz hibiscus syrup*

To garnish rim, place some salt on a plate, then rub lemon juice around half your glass rim. Dip your glass into the salt where the lemon has been so it sticks. Set aside in the freezer while you make the drink.
To make drink, in a martini shaker add the ice, tequila, strawberries, lemon juice, hibiscus syrup, and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour the drink through a strainer into the prepared glass (with some ice in it if you prefer your drink on the rocks), and serve!


*Hibiscus syrup
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup filtered water
2 Tbsp dried hibiscus flowers*

Combine all ingredients in a jar, put the lid on and shake to dissolve agave nectar. Let sit at least a day to infuse, then strain to remove flowers. Store in the fridge for up to a month.

*You can find dried hibiscus flowers at your local natural food store in the bulk section by the spices and teas.  If you live in the Twin Cities area, they are available at Fresh and Natural Foods in Shoreview, or at the Wedge Coop in Uptown (where I have bought them).

12 comments:

  1. I don't think I've followed a recipe for a very long time. :) That said, I may have to follow this one. Holy cow, this looks good! I've never used Hibiscus flowers...where do I find them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to make something red and hibiscus tea was suggested; I too have to ask where you got the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagining how good this will be during strawberry season! Oh my! Must find hibiscus syrup - have yet to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of drink. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds incredible, I'm seriously going to try this after my week long 12 hour shifts end. I can't wait for Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That reminds me. I need to stop by the Wedge again. Now if for no other reason than I need to pick up hibiscus to give this margarita a try! I hope your day was much improved after this cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful margarita! I've never had hibiscus, but I am very curious to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect way to beat the heat. I could kick back with a couple of pitchers and some good company.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love margaritas! This looks wonderful, and its original, Congrats on the Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so refreshing. I love hibiscus or Agua de jamaica as we say in Spanish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful and refreshing! I can see why this made the Top 9!!! Congratulations! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on top 9 my friend - stunning refreshing drink :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete