Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sunflower Maple Ice Cream


I am a running shoes type of girl...but recently I fell in love with a pair of heels at the store.  They were calling my name with their shiny silver and snake print!  I had to try them on...and I decided that I needed to have them, justified by the fact that they match a lot of my clothes and were on sale at Macy's! 


When I wear them, I can't help but feel confident and beautiful (not that I don't when not wearing them because I do) but they make me stand a bit taller...which is nice since I have not been blessed with the gift of height. I can't believe I went so crazy for a pair of shoes, but hey, stranger things have happened.  Now, delicious ice cream, that is something I always go crazy for! 


I recently made some delicious sunflower maple ice cream, which oddly enough was a simliar color to my new shoes!  I often make ice cream with peanut butter because I love the texture, and so I thought why not sunflower butter?  I decided to add maple as well, because I hadn't made maple anything in a while. 


I used my vegan ice cream base sweetened with maple syrup, added the roasted sunflower seed butter, some maple extract (to make sure the maple was extra fragrant), and some vanilla extract for good measure.  the base tasted amazing, and I could have drank it with a straw, but instead of course froze it.  


I folded some toasted sunflower seeds in for some texture and placed it in the freezer to firm up (wanting to eat a bowl, but waiting until it was scoopable...still had a taste though).  Once it was ready, I was ready to dive in!  It was delectable...creamy, silky nutty goodness with a hint of maple and the occasional crunch of sunflower seeds!  


I can honestly say I have not tasted any ice cream like this...and it was lovely!  If you would like to taste it for yourself, I have included the recipe! 


Sunflower Maple Ice Cream
makes about 4 cups

ice cream base:
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
1 cup organic sunflower seed butter (unsweetened)
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp maple extract
1/2 tsp sea salt

1 cup toasted sunflower seeds

To make ice cream, combine all ice cream base ingredients in a food processor (except seeds), and process until well blended. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Stir seeds into the ice cream, pour into freezable container with a lid, and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

15 comments:

  1. hoes and ice cream make my day. Maple and sunflower seeds make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shoes! I am a heals kinda girl and these are gorgeous and they match the luscious ice cream! I am going to have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea! This sounds so good! And the shoes are lovely, I would've gone bonkers for them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting combination indeed and all so very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative flavor mix! My mom is a huge fan of anything sunflower, so I am sure she would enjoy this immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so creative, definitely need to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, you're just crazy ;) Second, you're absolutely brilliant! I've NEVER seen or even heard whispers about ice cream made with sunflower seeds, but once I saw this post it's impossible not to want to try it... I am featuring this post in today's Friday Food Fetish roundup (with a link-back and attribution), but please let me know if you have any objections. It's ALWAYS a pleasure to be following your creations…

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the same way about flip flops! Every once in awhile I cave and buy these gorgeous heels which just sit in the box in my closet where I occasionally pull them out for a few minutes to ooh and aah over them before putting them right back on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome pumps! I'd so have to have those also! This ice cream sounds incredible, I love the maple to sweeten it up and find that the sunflower butter is a pretty good substitute for peanut butter, I'm sure this was nothing short of amazing! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect combo of salty and sweet! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This ice cream looks incredible. I love the combination of flavors! And those shoes... omg!!!! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love your creations! This is going down the hatch soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love the shoes. I can see why you went crazy for them. I wouldn't be able to wear heals like that though. This ice cream sounds wonderful. I am very partial to maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love maple ice cream. Yum! And those shoes are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tried to pin your recipe on Pinterest could not get a link.Great! recipe though, Ever think about make a bigger batch and selling it at a vegan expo.

    ReplyDelete