Monday, May 21, 2012

Coconut Raspberry Rhubarb CrumbleTart


You can't always get what you want...like the song by the Rolling Stones says.  I can remember when I was little and I would be begging my Dad for something and he would start singing that song for me, or play the tape.  I hated it with a passion, because I knew I was not going to get what I wanted.  He thought it was very funny however.  If you are not familiar with what I am talking about, the song title is "You Can't Always Get What You Want", by the Rolling Stones and the lyrics go..."You can't always get what you want, and if you try sometime you find you get what you need."  Or the jist of the song at least. Now as an adult, I can appriciate that song.  I mean, it is so true.  Sometimes I wish I could sing it to people that freak out when they don't get their way...but I suppose that would be a bit inappropriate in some situations.  I remember being in the produce department a while back and a lady freaking out at the produce guy because they didn't have arugula.  So buy spinach...it is called improvisation and an important skill to have.  So...I was going to make a strawberry rhubarb tart this weekend but I had forgotten to buy the strawberries!



No worries though, I had frozen rasberries and I decided that they would do!  I didn't get what I had initially wanted, but it was still just as delicious if not even more so.  I wanted to make a crumble tart using berries and rhubarb, because it just sounded so good!  For the crust I used a combination of coconut flour and almond flour sweetened with coconut sugar and made rich with coconut oil.  I knew it would be wonderfully nutty and flavorful. 


I made a quick jam using the frozen raspberries and fresh rhubarb I had, laced with a little vanilla and agave nectar for sweetness.  I then topped it off with a crumble topping made from the same ingredients as the crust plus oats and large flake coconut! 



I knew it would taste wonderful...it smelled so good as it cooled!  I scooped some Roasted Rhubarb Honey Cardamom Ice Cream onto the plate with a large slice and couldn't wait to dive in!  It tasted even better than it looked...the jammy tart sweet filling, the crumbly toasty nutty topping and crust, it was quite heavenly! 


I may not have gotten what I wanted, but something even better.  Sometimes it is nice to be forced to try something different because you don't have the right ingredients on hand...you may just end up with a new favorite!  If you would like to try some of the tart for yourself, I have included the recipe! 

Coconut Raspberry Rhubarb Crumble Tart
Makes 1 8 inch tart


Raspberry Rhubarb Jam*
12 oz organic raspberries
2 cups organic rhubarb
1/2 cup agave nectar
a pinch of sea salt
2 tsp pure vanilla extract


Crust:
3/4 cup coconut flour
1 cup almond flour
1/3 cup coconut sugar or maple sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
6 Tbsp coconut oil, warmed to liquid

Topping:
4 Tbsp coconut flour
2 Tbsp almond flour
3 Tbsp coconut sugar or maple sugar
4 Tbsp coconut oil, warmed to liquid
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup large flake coconut


For the jam, combine all ingredients except vanilla in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.  Cook until jammy, stirring often for about 35-45 minutes.  When jam consistency, remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Let cool slightly.  Preheat the oven to 350.  To make crust combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix with hands until it holds together a bit when squeezed.  Press into the bottom and up the sides of an 8 inch tart pan with removable bottom and bake for about 15 minutes until set and starting to brown a little.  Remove from oven and spread jam over it.  Combine all the topping ingredients and mix together with hands until clumps form.  Sprinkle over the jam and place back in the oven.  Bake for about 15 minutes until it is lightly brown and crisp.  Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving. 


*If you like, you can use your own jam, about 2 1/2 cups worth

12 comments:

  1. Hi There,
    Wow...this recipe is looking so Appetizing. A very well made post with beautiful pictures. I can't wait to try it on my island. Loved ur strawberry lemonade, sounds amazing ! Have a wonderful week ahead. Thanks & Regards, Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so delicious!! I love all of these flavors but have never had them all together in a tart! I think it's time I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!!!!!! Your blog is amazing!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I see other people with rhubarb fever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny! My husband and I sing that to our kids whenever they start whining about I want x, y or z. They too find it incredibly annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another lovely treat using coconut flour! I love the combination of flavors you chose. Serving it with roasted rhubarb ice cream was a brilliant idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This tart looks awesome! I love the raspberry, coconut, and rhubarb combo. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raspberries + Rhubarb + Coconut = a new and fabulous dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh saving this! I still have rhubarb ... waiting... impatiently. Love the twist of the raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum, I like this even better with the coconut. I haven't seen any rhubarb around here yet but I need to make sure I get some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't stop laughing at the thought of your dad finding amusement over singing that song to you. I kind of wish that you had started singing that song to the lady freaking out over the lack of arugula -- and that I was standing right there to witness the entire scene. :)

    The crumble looks *amazing* as well, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Strawberries or raspberries, this looks wonderful! I love crumbles!

    ReplyDelete