Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Dark Chocolate Lavender Gin Truffles


As I walked into the large beautifully decorated room, I was greeted with the sound of many conversations.  The crowd was elegantly dressed in brightly colored ball gowns, and it appeared to be decorated for some special type of event or party.  I myself was wearing a long silk lavender dress, which was slightly difficult to walk in given the height of the heels I was wearing.  I spotted a table full of what looked to be delicious desserts and I walked over for a closer look.  As I got closer I saw many different types of petit desserts...macaroons, petit fours, and truffles.  A platter of dark chocolate truffles caught my eye and I decided I had to have one.  My mouth was watering and as I reached for it, and elderly lady who seemed to have come out of nowhere said to me "No!  you mustn't eat!  They are for the guests!"  I was confused, wasn't I a guest?  I ignored her and reached for one anyhow and she slapped my hand.  The truffles turned into what appeared to be some sort of sparking glass, then...I woke up.  I was dreaming... I was in my bed, and my hand hurt, although it had not been real.  I must have been sleeping on it funny, because it felt tingly as the blood rushed back in.   What an odd dream, I thought to myself!  I guess that is what I get for being on Pintrest before bed!


As I was out on a run later, I couldn't help but think about truffles.  Well, since this is real life, I thought I CAN have them without anyone slapping my hand.  So I decided to create some truffles inspired by my unusual dream.  They would be dark chocolate, and would contain lavender since I was wearing a lavender gown.  I decided to add a little gin as well, because it is sort of elegant in its herbal quality, and it is so refreshing during the warm months which we are now in.  I knew the truffles would be delicious!  For the base, I used a combination of coconut milk and good quality vegan dark chocolate with a touch of vanilla.  It creates wonderfully silky truffles without heavy cream which I don't usually have on hand. 


I infused the truffles with dried lavender and added enough gin to make them boozy!  I tasted some of the mixture before it had a chance to harden, and I had to restrain myself from eating a large part of it because it was so delicious! 


I dipped the truffles in more dark chocolate and garnished them with a little lavender to make them pretty.  I couldn't wait to taste one...and nobody was going to tell me I couldn't eat them or slap my hand.  I picked one up, and was going to take a bite when I thought oh, what the heck...and popped the whole thing into my mouth. Improper I know, but it was amazing!  It was decadent and rich, intense dark chocolate with a hint of floral lavender and quite boozy from the gin!  It probably tasted better than the truffles in my dream would have! 


If you would like to try some for yourself, I have included the recipe!  I hope you all are having a wonderful week!


Vegan Dark Chocolate Lavender Gin Truffles
Makes about 20

3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (the thick part from the top of the can)
10 oz vegan dark chocolate, finely chopped
2 Tbsp dried lavender
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp gin
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
dried lavender for garnish
Place the finely chopped chocolate in medium heat-safe bowl and set aside. Heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat with lavender until it is just under a boil then remove from heat and pour the hot coconut milk over the chopped chocolate and whisk them together along with gin and vanilla extract until the chocolate is melted and it becomes a smooth ganache. Press a layer of plastic wrap directly on top of the ganache, and refrigerate it until it is firm enough to scoop and roll, about 1 hour. If you wait too long it will get very stiff and hard to work with, so check it after an hour to make it easy to shape the truffles. Use a spoon to form small balls from the ganache, and roll them between your hands to get them round. Place them on a foil lined baking sheet and place in the freezer until firm. To make coating, melt the remaining 8 oz chocolate in the microwave until it is smooth and fluid (stirring after 30 second intervals). Using forks or dipping tools, dip a truffle until it is completely submerged in the melted coating, then bring it up out of the coating and tap the fork against the lip of the bowl to remove excess. Place the truffles on a foil-covered baking sheet, and while it is still wet, top each with a little dried lavender if desired. repeat with remaining truffles and place sheet in the refrigerator to set the coating for about 15 minutes. They are best served at room temperature.

18 comments:

  1. Truffles are just a little bit too rich for me, but these sound heavenly enough for me to give them another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love that dream!! :) These truffles are just beautiful. Love the addition of the lavender!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I would think the gin would overwhelm the lavender; I'd use aquavit instead (the flavor of lavender is much like the caraway of aquavit), but these sound very tasty. Are you using "deodorized" coconut, or is there a noticeable coconut flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspiring dream! This really is a unique recipe and the elments you used were great choices-yum! I love the touch of gin. It would be sad to see these and not have them if you were not a guest. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing! Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh; I love the dream! If you hand over all the truffles, I promise to not smack your hand.... just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just gorgeous...I really, really want one. Or two. I need to dream up something like these... :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. fab - love the story.... and the inclusion of lavender in your truffles.

    Lavender is such an unusual flavour and something that has really grown on me over the last year.

    Pretty photos too.

    Are there any left ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness - that dream would drive to eat truffles! I have some lavender waiting to be used. Of course, I'll have to take up running again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A dream come true! They look delicious and decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love truffles! Perfect little bit size of goodness

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting dream - and way to make these awesome truffles out of it =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Inspiration comes from the oddest places, doesn't it? Nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You never know where you'll find inspiration. Chocolate and gin paired with lavender sounds fantastic, Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in LOVE with this truffle recipe. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are gorgeous, Amy! You and your lavender :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amy,
    I'm trying to figure out a raw petit four recipe. I think I can manage the cake layers and the fruit jam layers, but the outer coating seems really difficult. It's usually fondant. I can do a raw chocolate shell, I guess, but I'd also like to be able to do different colours. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do a raw frosting based from coconut and cashews like the ones I do on most of my cakes. It is so much tastier than fondant ;). You can tint it as well. However it is more the consistency of buttercream not fondant.

      Delete