Thursday, May 31, 2012

Herbed Quinoa White Bean Salad


I love white beans.  I have mentioned this before, and there is no hiding it. If there is a pot of white beans on the stove in the deli where I work, 99% of the time they are mine.  In some of my coworkers have begun to call the navy beans the Amy beans.  I guess with the type of cooking I do, they just seem to go best, and I can also blame my Mother who always bought white beans.  It was always cannelini or navy or great northern...all white!  I recently heard that they are good for your health as well, so maybe I am onto something with my (as my coworker called it today) obsession.  Coworker was complaining that the garbanzo beans took too long to cook, so I jokingly told her she should have used white beans...she told me I was being snarky today, and I was.  But it is true, they do cook faster! 


I made a salad last night when I got home using the fabulous white beans, combined with quinoa for a substantial supper.  I added some toasted hazelnuts for crunch, and some currants for a little sweetness. But it needed some green and since I had finally managed to plant my herbs this week, I thought they would be wonderful in it as well!  So basil and thyme joined the party!  I tossed it with olive oil and lemon and it was delicious as a finished dish!  They may be silly white beans to my coworkers but I love em'!


Herbed Quinoa White Bean Salad
Serves 4

2 cups water
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 cup dried white beans
1 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, packed
2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1/2 cup dried currants
1/3 cup lemon juice
zest of one large organic lemon
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Place quinoa and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed about 15 minutes, or when all the grains have turned from white to transparent, and the spiral-like germ has separated. Drain, and let cool. Place beans in a medium pot and cover with water by about 4 inches.  Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer.  Cook until beans are tender, about an hour to an hour and a half depending on the freshness of the beans.  Drain and let cool completely.  If you wish to skip this step, you can use 2 oz 15 cans of white beans drained and rinsed.  In a large bowl, combine quinoa, beans, hazelnuts, herbs, currants, olive oil, lemon juice and zest along with sea salt and pepper to taste.  Toss well, and serve at room temperature.

7 comments:

  1. Yum! I've been looking for a new summer salad. This white bean creation looks heavenly! Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you are having a beautiful day! I'm glad to be back in the blogging world. I've been gone too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quinoa is one of my favorite ingredients, and I'm also loving all the flavors in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely my kind of dish! For sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have bags and bags of white beans. On my agenda for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so yummy! I imagine it will help satisfy my quinoa obsession just as much as your white bean obsession ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great salad! Perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete