Thursday, May 17, 2012

Roasted Rhubarb Honey Cardamom Ice Cream


Some people eat when they are stressed, but not me.  When I am stressed I run.  There is something about being out in the fresh air that clears the head, not to mention getting out energy in a positive way.  I was having one of those days recently and all I needed was a good run to put my mind set back in the right place.  After a mile I started feeling better and my mood only improved the rest of the 8...the fresh air fragrant with the scent of lilacs, the sound of the wind blowing through the trees and the song of the birds was so calming.  The things that happened that day to stress me didn't matter anymore they were behind me.  I was feeling 100x better when I unlocked my front door to go back in the house, and I remembered a bag of fresh rhubarb that a coworker had given me. 


Maybe it was because I was hot from running, but  ice cream sounded good to me, so I decided to make rhubarb ice cream.  Not just plain rhubarb ice cream, roasted rhubarb honey cardamom ice cream.  I knew it wouldn't be ready to eat until the next day, but that was alright. 



I used my coconut milk ice cream base, blended in rhubarb I had roasted in the oven until it was flavorful and added honey for sweetness and cardamom for spice.  The base was wonderful, and I knew it would be even more fabulous once frozen. 
It was delicious once it had ripened in the freezer overnight!  Creamy and silky, a tad tart from the rhubarb and slightly sweet with a hint of honey and cardamom! It was so refreshing!  I know it would be fabulous atop some strawberry rhubarb crisp!  If you would like to enjoy some for yourself, I have included the recipe!  Hope you all are having a wonderful week!


Roasted Rhubarb Honey Cardamom Ice Cream
Makes 6 cups

Ice Cream:
4 cups organic rhubarb, sliced into 1 inch pieces
coconut oil, warmed to liquid
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk
3/4 cup honey
2 tsp ground cardamom
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees, and line a sheet pan with foil.  Toss rhubarb with just enough coconut oil to lightly coat and spread out on pan.  Roast until tender and starting to brown, about 15-20 minutes.  Remove from oven and drain any juices from rhubarb reserving them.  Place juices in a saucepan and reduce until syrupy.  Combine with roasted rhubarb and puree until smooth. Combine rhubarb and all remaining ingredients in a blender, and process until well blended. Pour the mixture into a container and chill in the fridge until very cold preferrably overnight.  When chilled, pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, pour into a freezable container with a lid, and place in the freezer for at least 8 hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

19 comments:

  1. Such perfect scoops of delicious ice cream! Love the picture as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would LOVE some of that on rhubarb crisp, preferably right now for breakfast. What a great flavor combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds absolutely wonderful, what a great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how yummy! I need to check my paltry rhubarb crop to see if I can pull off a batch of your ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the ingredients especially the coconut milk. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this ice cream sounds and looks AMAZING!!! :) I've never had rhubarb ice cream before and can't wait to give this a try, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently made ice cream with roasted bananas and absolutely loved the flavor it added to the finished product. I can totally imagine roasted rhubarb would have tasted divine. Great combination of flavors and gorgeous clicks, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been looking for a rhubarb ice cream recipe - and here you are - with the perfect one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, this looks incredible! Love your combinations here. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photograph! I would love to try this recipe. Maybe it's time to get an ice cream maker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that is too much..... waiting overnight.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I am stressed I cannot eat at all! My stomach becomes like a rock. This ice cream certainly would make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i see myself indulging in this ice-cream with or without stress ;)
    I listen to music when I'm feeling down

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I am a stress eater unfortunately. I wish I wasn't! This ice cream looks so delicious! I don't ever use rhubarb in my recipes, I always forget about it, but it's sure tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great flavors here! Such a unique and yummy ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like such a great flavor of ice cream! I wish I had your motivation to run when stressed! All I want to do is be lazy when I'm stressed =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cardamom is one of my favorite flavors. This ice cream sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this ice cream! I am the same way with stress, I need to run. Doesn't matter what's going on, it always improves my mood!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy, I have never really liked rhubarb, but I think this ice cream could change my mind! Thanks for sharing your creations!

    ReplyDelete