Saturday, May 12, 2012

Strawberries with Raw Almond Coconut Lavender Cream


Sometimes only a decadent dessert will do...and that was yesterday after work!  The weather was kind of eh...it was dripping a bit outside and something sweet sounded good to me! Afterall, it was National Eat What You Want Day...so I was going to eat what I wanted!  I was craving something with cream and strawberries, but since I didn't have cream in my fridge I thought I would go about the raw vegan route with the cream.  Better for me anyhow, and why not be healthy and get what I wanted! 


I had fresh organic strawberries, raw almonds and a young coconut so I decided on strawberries filled with raw coconut almond cream!  It would be a simple yet delicious dessert to satisfy my craving.  The cream was really simple to prepare as I already had some soaked almonds and young coconut meat scooped out of the shell in the fridge.  I just buzzed it in the food processor with some vanilla bean, agave nectar and coconut oil, let it chill for a while and voila!  Delicious almond coconut cream! 


I decided that it needed some lavender for fragrance as well before I piped it into the berries so I whisked some in which made the cream even more delicious!  I thought a little chocolate would make the berries even better, so I served the with a simple chocolate sauce. 


They were amazing!  They tasted so decadent...just as much as if I had whipped some real cream, but even better!  The cream was smooth and light, creamy and a perfect match for the sweet berries.  When I took a bite I got the fragrance of the lavender as well and a touch of the chocolate sauce...so heavenly!  If you would like to enjoy some for yourself, I have included the recipe!  Hope you all are enjoying your weekend! 


Strawberries with Raw Almond Coconut Lavender Cream
makes about 24

24 organic strawberries, leaves and centers removed with a sharp knife

filling:
1/2 cup raw almonds pieces soaked at least 3 hours but preferably soaked overnight
1/2 cup water

3/4 cup fresh young coconut meat
2 tablespoons agave syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla and seeds of half a vanilla bean (the other half of the one you used for the filling)
1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

2 Tbsp dried lavender flowers

Chocolate sauce:
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup cacao powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut oil
pinch of sea salt

To make cream, buzz all the ingredients together in a blender send through a fine meshed strainer, pushing the solids against the bottom (to remove any chunks and create a smooth cream) and place in the fridge to firm up for about an hour (until firm enough to pipe). 
To fill berries, place cream in a pastry bag fitted with a larger tip and fill each berry. 
To make sauce, whisk all ingredients together until smooth. 
Serve berries atop sauce on a plate for a pretty and delicious presentation!

21 comments:

  1. you always have the best dessert recipes. This is amazing...beautiful presentation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These strawberries look fantastic! Well I feel like I need a decadent sweet like this one almost every day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, how beautiful and elegant! Your presentation is so lovely, Amy!!! And these must taste amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanillagirl, I love your posts always, but this post stole my heart! I really admire the way you presented these...Awesome! Congrats on being at Top 9 today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so original and beautiful, i love the use of the almonds to create such a luscious filling. i'm dairy free so this would be the most perfect dessert to snack on to enjoy the strawberries coming into season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a simple idea that has been beautifully executed. Well done, Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My four year old daughter saw your pictures and wants me now to replicate this dessert. Congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the Foodbuzz top 9! This is my kind of dessert. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious! (as do all of your recipes). Thank you for the post. Just a quick question; if I'm interested in taking these to an event, should they be kept chilled before serving? The fridge access is somewhat limited at this location, so want to make sure I don't have runny "whipped cream" on the strawberries.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey Amy :) I loved the filling and it looks very interesting how you filled the strawberries. Very effective! will try it for sure.. Did you try to make choco baskets? the same shape as you piped it on the plate but they stand alone. I think it would look great w your strawberries..
    greetings,
    mirela

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey Amy :) I loved the filling and it looks very interesting how you filled the strawberries. Very effective! will try it for sure.. Did you try to make choco baskets? the same shape as you piped it on the plate but they stand alone. I think it would look great w your strawberries..
    greetings,
    mirela

    ReplyDelete
  12. In response to the question about the strawberries being kept chilled, they taste the best when chilled, but once initially chilled, since the cream stays somewhat solid from the coconut oil and nuts they should be ok at room temperature for a while since these ingredients don't melt like regular cream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, these look so good! The picture is gorgeous, congrats on the Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pictures are simply stunning and amazingly well shot.I just cant stop my self to halt here and leave this comment. Very Well done and Great job. And I will try the item at my home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cute are these, they look so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. do you have to hollow out the strawberries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just have to remove the stem and a little of the center.

      Delete
  17. Yet another wonderful dessert! Pinned ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish you'd open a bakery near my house - your recipes look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! These are easy to make if you want to try them ;)!

      Delete