Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wild Rhubarbtini


As I head out for my morning run, I ignore the sound of the traffic and the smell of the pollution as the cars and busses go by...I am half asleep, anyhow and there isn't much to see.  That is until I get away from the noise and enter the woods.  I then begin to breath in the fresh air, which is like nothing else.  The smell of the vegetation, wild flowers and wood on the path below my feet.  I forget about the paved roads and cars I passed on the way here and just enjoy.  All I can hear is my feet hitting the ground, the wind rustling the leaves of the trees, and the song of the birds and insects as they call out to each other creating a beautiful syphony.  I pass lovely little purple and white wild flowers, ferns curling their way up from the ground and some of the most luscious looking wild rhubarb.  If I were not running, I would stop to pick a large bunch and bring it back home with me as I am sure no one else will.  But it is meant to remain growing there for the remainder of the season until it goes to seed.  It is its lucky day, because I would have loved to have disturbed it. 


I begin to think about rhubarb and what can be done with it for the remainder of my run...so many delicious things, mostly desserts, but then something that stands out in my mind...a cocktail!  Maybe it was the fact that I was thirsty at the time, but I knew I must later create it! 


Since I had rhubarb that was given to me in my fridge at home, I made a Wild Rhubarbtini.  It had a gin base, a touch of honey and lemon and of course the rhubarb.  It was herbal and floral, tart and sweet, refreshing and wonderful in every way...like running through the woods.  Sometimes we all just need a little escape! 


Wild Rhubarbtini
Makes 1

Drink:
1/4 cup cubed rhubarb
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp filtered water
a few fresh sprigs of thyme
6 large ice cubes
4 oz gin
1/2 oz lemon juice
 a strip of rhubarb
a sprig of thyme

Puree the rhubarb, honey and water together until smooth.  In a martini shaker add the ice, and muddle it with the thyme until it is fragrant.  Add the rhubarb mixture, gin and juice and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour the drink into a chilled martini glass through a strainer, garnish with thyme and a strip of rhubarb and serve!

14 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!! And I'm always looking for new ways to use rhubarb. I'm thinking "+ alcohol" is the perfect way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just popped in to let you know that I awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award: http://binomialbaker.blogspot.com/2012/05/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm alcoholic rhubarb. Will definitely be doing this over the weekend. (Don't let the wild rhubarb go to seed completely!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I bet the tartness of this is wonderful! Perfect on a scorching day! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. rhubarb, honey and thyme - that sounds just perfect. Great presentation, Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the run was exhilarating as well as inspiring! Love the notes of flavor you paired with the rhubarb. The drink looks fabulous in that picture-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your post - sounds like our walks to the park. It is quite the experience once the traffic noise fades and nature 'appears'. Great drink idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. TOTALLY digging the rhubarb thyme combo! (I just used thyme in a blueberry-merlot granita!). Hugs chica!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this drink looks amazing! I've never had a rhubarb drink before. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I must try it. It sounds fantastic!!! I adore your entire blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very creative! I've never seen rhubarb used in a cocktail this way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting new drink idea. It looks good and I love your glasses, by the way.

    ReplyDelete