Saturday, June 30, 2012

Little Raw Strawberries and Cream Streusel Topped Cheesecakes

 



Creamy Cheesecake, fresh sweet organic strawberries, and a streusel topping...it all sounded like a match made in heaven to me as I thought about it as I was trying to fall asleep.  You know that time when you are supposed to be falling into dream land, but instead wide awake dreaming up fabulous ideas for new things to make?  Well, that is how my mind works at least.  


I guess that is what I get for going on Pintrest before bed and seeing some delicious strawberry cheesecake bars with a streusel topping. I love cheesecake, and I love anything streusel topped! Unfortunately the recipe was far from vegan or healthy...but I knew I could make my own dessert with the same appeal, only healthier. 


I have been addicted to cheesecake lately, so why not one with a strawberry layer and a creamy vanilla layer and sweet fresh organic strawberries in between?  Better yet, set it on a pecan crust and top it off with a crunchy streusel laced with coconut and more pecans.  Perfection, creamy, crunchy and sweet!


 
I had to admit I had a hard time sleeping while I was dreaming about all of this deliciousness I would make the next day!  But it was worth the wait. 
 


Little Raw Strawberries and Cream Streusel Topped Cheesecakes
Makes four 4 inch cakes

Crust:
1 1/2 cups raw pecans
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
6 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped
 
Topping:
1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
1/4 cup dried coconut
2 tsp agave nectar
Filling:
2 3/4 cups raw cashews (preferably soaked overnight)
1/2 cup filtered water
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup plus 3 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or the raw sweetener of your choice
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
1 cup fresh organic strawberries
1 cup fresh sliced organic strawberries

Lightly coat four 4 inch spring form removable bottom pans with coconut oil. To prepare the crust, process pecans and sea salt in a food processor until the pecans are fine crumbs, then add the dates and process until the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers. Divide the mixture in two and firmly press half of the crust mixture into the bottoms of the prepared pans. Set aside.  Combine the remaining mixture with 1/4 cup chopped pecans, coconut and agave nectar, and set aside for the streusel.
To make filling, drain cashews and combine them with coconut water, lemon juice, nectar, coconut oil, sea salt and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Remove the filling from the food processor, and divide evenly between 2 bowls. Place half back into the food processor and add 1 cup strawberries. Puree until smooth and scrape back in the bowl.

To assemble the cheesecake, pour vanilla filling over crusts in pans, and top with sliced strawberries.  Pour strawberry filling over, then top with reserved streusel, pressing down slightly.  Place in the freezer until it is set, 4-5 hours.  When set, keep refrigerated until ready to serve, or to store.  



22 comments:

  1. love the streusel topping! :) yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely cheesecake..Looks very delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love health-i-fied raw treats,,,and this looks and sounds like summer-y goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you have tried them, regular desserts just don't seem as delicious ;)!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I very much agree! Creamy with crunchy is wonderful!

      Delete
  5. These are beautiful! What a fabulous dessert for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Especially with local berries ;)!

      Delete
  6. Hii Amy,
    I love cheesecake and if it is made with strawberries, it is absolutely unresistable for me.
    Thank you for sharing.
    With my best wishes, Pırıl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Wish you could try a piece ;)!

      Delete
  7. These look incredible! Can't wait to make them myself. Thank you for all your yummy raw recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! If you make it let me know how you like it :)!

      Delete
  8. I really want some of this for breakfast! As usual, a beautiful dessert. That streusel looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy :)! It would have been wonderful for breakfast...and you would stay full from the nut protein!

      Delete
  9. These look so yummy. Love the topping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What gorgeous mini-cheesecakes...your raw version sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz :)! Wish you could try some ;)!

      Delete