Sunday, June 24, 2012

Nectarine and Strawberry Carpaccio with Almond "Chevre"



Sitting in the sunshine on the patio of a cafe with a gentle breeze blowing, sipping cool wine.  Now, that is my idea of a perfect summer evening.  I sit and inhale the aroma of the herbs growing in the pots next to me, and quietly watch the people walking down the street.  The pedal pub rolls by and the people on it are laughing loudly.  Many couples are out for their evening walks or jogs.  I see a girl in a white dress across the street, twirling, and dancing looking like she is having a wonderful time.  Summer is here!


I like to enjoy as much fruit as I can during the summer months, in any form, desserts, drinks, and salads.  This weekend I decided that a carpaccio salad featuring fresh fruit would be lovely! 


I wanted something rich to go along with it, and goat cheese sounded wonderful.  But I am trying to stay away from so much dairy, so I decided to make some out of almonds instead.  It was amazing...so creamy, maybe even better than the real thing, and it complimented the fresh fruit wonderfully!


A drizzle of balsamic syrup, and sprinkle of fresh basil from my herb pot and it was all a quite delicious cobination.  Too bad the people watching in my neighborhood isn't as good as at the cafe.


Nectarine and Strawberry Carpaccio with Almond "Chevre", Basil and Balsamic Syrup
Serves 2

Almond "Chevre":
1/2 cup ground raw almonds*
2 Tbsp organic lemon juice
1/8-1/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
1-2 Tbsp filtered water

1 large ripe organic nectarine, thinly sliced
6-8 ripe organic strawberries, thinly sliced
a few fresh basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
balsamic syrup**

To make almond chevre, combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and of chevre consistency. 
Arrange strawberries and almonds on two plates, overlapping the fruits in a pretty pattern.  Place some of the almond chevre on each plate, sprinkle each with the basil, and drizzle each with a little of the balsamic syrup.  Serve! 
*To make ground raw almonds, put almonds in the food processor and process to almond meal consistency.
**You can buy balsamic syrup at a specialty store or make it at home.  To make balsamic syrup, place 1 cup balsamic vinegar in a sauce pan and bring to a simmmer.  Simmer until balsamic is reduced to 1/4 cup or less and is a syrupy consistency, about 20-30 minutes.  Keep a close eye because it could burn if it gets too reduced. 

24 comments:

  1. That looks so terrific! It's amazing to me how well balsamic pairs with strawberries. I would have never thought to add nectarines though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon :)! I love it with most fruits, but especially the summer ones!

      Delete
  2. My gosh! I want to eat all of this! I am assuming you peeled the almonds prior to processing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were actually blanched, but untoasted.

      Delete
  3. I love that picture of the wine glass, with the shadow it creates! As for your berry and nectarine dessert - its perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)! It was some delicious wine, I have always loved photos like that which have transparent glass to create shadows!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness. The almond chèvre sounds wonderful. I must try this one our. I have some almond flour in the refrigerator. Simple recipes that look great are what I like! ...and that picture of the wine glass. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works awesome with almond flour (less blending). It is seriously so addictive, I have a feeling you will love it ;)!

      Delete
  5. That is one fantastic looking salad :) I love fresh fruit salads with balsamic syrup....thank you so much for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Balsamic and fruit are a match made in heaven as far as I am concerned ;)! Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Hi, Just wanted you to know that I nominated you for the Versatile blogger award! Love your blog, especially the raw food desserts of which I am quite partial too :) http://theboothebearandthegojiberries.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thanks Ellie :)! You are too kind!

      Delete
  7. I've never made almond cheese! I will definitely try that and see how it compares with cashew cheeses. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very similar to cashew cheese actually :)! Hope you enjoy it if you do make it!

      Delete
  8. Wow this sounds awesome! Beautiful pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing arrangement of fresh fruit. Visually, this dish is a stunner and I'm certain that it tastes just as good as it looks. The almond cheese sounds absolutely remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Viviane :)! It tasted even better than it looks, the almond cheese went so well with the fruit!

      Delete
  10. Summer is indeed here! This looks and sounds so refreshing. I love letting the brilliant flavors of summer shine through by serving fresh fruit. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Monet :)! Hope you are enjoying summer as well :)!

      Delete