Saturday, June 30, 2012

Raw Double Raspberry Lemon Dream Cake



My alarm clock went off, and I was all motivated to get my butt out the door and get a run in before the heat of the day hit.  Little did I know, it already had.  I laced up my shoes, and headed out the door and half way down the street I knew the 10 miles would be a struggle.  The sun shined brightly in the sky as if it were taunting me  "Look at you trying to run in this heat...crazy girl."  And yet, I was driven to keep going.  Half way through although feeling misreable and like I had ran through a sprinkler (and I hadn't), the sweat flipped off me in little drops.  "You got this Amy..." I told myself.  When I want to get something done, I get it done and this run was no exception.  Besides...there are people out there who I knew were running longer distances than me that day and they would get it done as well.  To distract myself, I started thinking about what sort of desserts I could make later. 


 
Yes, this always puts me in my happy place.  I had a large amount of glorious local raspberries both red and black and I wanted to make something beautiful and delicious with them.  I was thinking either ice cream, parfait, or raw cheesecake because I was not about to heat up my house with oven usage. I decided on the cheesecake because I was feeling a little more decadent. 


I know...I am a bit addicted to these raw cheesecakes lately, but seriously if you make one and enjoy some then you will be too!  The truth is I crave them.   Their sweet creamy consistency, the flavor of the nut crust and whatever fruit I decide to use in the filling...it is quite magical to me!  

 
Dreaming about this luscious cake sure made the rest of my 10 miles easier.  Once I completed my run, and was thankful that I did, because these are the days that build character.  Not the easy ones.  Did I ever feel like I deserved that cheesecake!  So once I had cooled down and was sipping some ice water, I got to work! 
 
 
The berries made the cheesecake filling the most beautiful hues of purple and pink.  I flavored it with a bit of lemon as well to balance out the sweetness with some tart.  It was cool, creamy, and the perfect dessert for summer in my opinion.  I almost forgot how hot it was outside. 



Raw Double Raspberry Lemon Dream Cake
Makes one 6 inch cake


Crust:
3/4 cup hazelnuts
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
3 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped

 
Filling:
2 3/4 cups raw cashews (preferably soaked overnight)
1/4 cup coconut water (or filtered water)
1 Tbsp organic lemon zest
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup plus 3 Tbsp agave nectar
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
1 cup fresh organic black raspberries

1 cup fresh organic red raspberries
 
Raspberry Purees:
1/4 cup organic red raspberries
1 Tbsp agave nectar
1/4 cup organic black raspberries
1 Tbsp agave nectar
 
Cream Topping:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/2 cup coconut water
3/4 cup fresh young coconut meat* (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
2 tablespoons agave syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and seeds of half a vanilla bean (reserved from filling)
1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

fresh red and black organic raspberries for garnish 

Lightly coat a 6 inch spring form removable bottom pans with coconut oil. To prepare the crust, process hazelnuts and sea salt in a food processor until the hazelnuts  are fine crumbs, then add the dates and process until the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers. Firmly press crust into the bottom of the prepared pan, and set aside.
To make the filling, drain the cashews and combine them with coconut water, lemon juice, agave nectar, coconut oil, sea salt and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Remove the filling from the food processor, and divide evenly between 2 bowls. Place half back into the food processor and add one cup of red raspberries. Puree until smooth and scrape back in the bowl. Add the other half of the filling to the food processor and add one cup of black raspberries, and puree until smooth.

For the raspberry purees, using an immersion blender (or you can rinse out the food processor) combine the 1/4 cup red berries and 1 Tbsp agave nectar and puree until smooth.  Set aside and repeat with the black raspberries and remaining Tbsp agave nectar.

To assemble the cheesecake, drop the filling alternating between the red and black raspberry in about 1 tbspful amounts over crust in the pan, until all is used up, sort of in a checkerboard fashion. Tap on the counter to level (keeping pan level). Drop some of the purees in half teaspoonful amounts over the top of the cake (reserving some for serving) and swirl with a knife to create marbling. Place in the freezer until it is set, 4 to 6 hours, then once set store in the fridge.   


To make topping, drain cashews and blend all ingredients until smooth in a food processor, and set in the freezer about 30 minutes until a frosting consistency. Place in a pastry bag and pipe decoratively around the top of the cheesecake. Garnish with fresh raspberries.  Store leftover cake in the fridge. 

23 comments:

  1. I love every single one of your raw cheesecakes,,so dont feel like you have to stop<3
    And I'm glad I'm a runner too,,,so I can indulge in the good(healthy) stuff,,,glad you finished your run,,,our heat is just kickin' in and it doesn't usually get too crazy(yeah!)like you guys...thx again for another truly tasty treat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)! I have a feeling I will be making many more as I love them! Awesome that you run as well, just makes all the desserts we eat more enjoyble not having to worry so much about calories right ;)?

      Delete
  2. Wow the colors are just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful!! I too LOVE raspberries and cheesecake.....this dessert is too good to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! It was one of my favorites :)!

      Delete
  4. Amy, this looks so beautiful! I love how you always get it so swirly :-) Good job on that 10-miler! I hope the weather has cooled down a bit... hot days suck :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Hester :)! The swirls make me happy! It is still hot here, but thank goodness for raw desserts! Hope you are enjoying your sumer :)!

      Delete
  5. The swirl effects on this cake are just DREAMY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, why are all of your pictures PERFECT?!? :D You sure have a knack for making beautiful cuisine! Goodness gracious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you :)! You are too nice, I am glad you enjoy them!

      Delete
  7. Very persistent and I'm glad you were able to cool off after your run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It finally cooled off here so running is easier! So relieved :)!

      Delete
  8. Gosh, hearing of your heat when we're lumbered with cool temperatures in Paris, it makes you wonder what's going on in the world just now! Good for you - can just imagine you with that cheesecake pinned in front of you. Way to go, Amy! What a wonderful, colourful dessert. No wonder you're craving these cheesecakes just now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take your cool temps over these scorchers any day, consider yourself lucky ;)! Thanks Jill :)!

      Delete
  9. Wow! I would hang this cake on a wall before I ate any of it! Absolutely gorgeous selection of colors and textures. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Food has to be beautiful as well as taste delicious right?

      Delete
  10. You have been making lots of raw cheesecakes recently, but I think they all look delicious. This one is particularly pretty. Good for you for going out in the heat and running! I like biking in the heat, more of a breeze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I like biking as well, I often bike after I run as a cooldown!

      Delete