Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Raw Tomato Basil "Ricotta" Tart


Happy first day of summer!  Although, to me it is already summer with the weather we have been having.  As far as I am concerned once June hits, it is summer.  But now that it is official, I thought I would celebrate by making a tomato tart. 


To me, tomatoes are the essence of summer.  My Grandpa has been growing a large garden of just tomatoes and cucumbers for as long as I can remember.  Every week, he gives me a large bag of each, and I live off of tomatoes and cucumbers for lunch.  I love it! There is nothing like biting into a ripe tomato unadorned and straight from the garden!  The flavor is so intense, not like the tomatoes you buy at the store being flown in from elsewhere.


They taste of summer, top them off with fresh basil from the garden and even better! Which is why I thought  a tart featuring them would be lovely!  I didn't want to heat up my oven, and so I decided to make a raw tart.  I have recently been reading Ani's Raw Food Essentials by Ani Phyo, and I wanted to try her pizza crust.  Although it was going to be a tart crust here, not a pizza crust.  It worked beautifully as the tart crust though, and was delicious! 


I then filled it with a rich raw almond "ricotta", and topped it off with those fresh tomatoes, basil and a sprinkle of fleur de sel!  It was delcious, and tasted of summer!  I am looking forward to a summer filled with lots of tomatoes fresh from the garden! 


Raw Tomato Basil "Ricotta" Tart
(Crust adapted from recipe by Ani Phyo)
Serves 2-3

Crust:
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup ground flax
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 small clove garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 Tbsp water

Cheese:
1 1/2 cups raw almonds
2 small cloves garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp water

One large organic tomato, thinly sliced
A few fresh organic basil leaves cut into chiffonade
fleur de sel

To make crust, combine sunflower seeds, flax, garlic, sea salt and oregano in a food processor and process until finely ground.  Add olive oil and pulse to blend.  Add 1 Tbsp water, and if mixture stays together when sweezed it is ready to use, if not, add another Tbsp water (but not too much because you don't want it too sticky).  Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a removable bottom tart pan and set aside. 
To make the filling, combine the almonds, garlic, sea salt, lemon juice and water in a food processor and process until very smooth. Scoop the mixture into the prepared crust, and smooth out the top.  Place in the fridge to set, about an hour.  Remove the tart from the pan and transfer to a serving plate.  Arrange the tomatoes decoratively on the top, and top with the fresh basil and a sprinkle of fleur de sel.  Serve!



30 comments:

  1. YUM! I love fresh tomatoes with cheese, this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! Turned out even better than I thought :)!

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous tart, this looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the savoury ricotta tart. I didn't plant any tomatoes this year but hopefully I will have prolific basil! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Basil is so wonderful! Definately my favorite herb :)!

      Delete
  4. I love the flavors of tomatoes and fresh basil. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really in awe of your blog. I love raw foods but find myself scared to experiment with recipes. I end up buying from a local cafe that has an awesome raw foods menu - but you really inspire me to try. Thanks for having such great recipes.

    PS - I wanted to let you know you've been nominated for an award... check out my latest blog post for more details. www.LauriesCravings.blogspot.com

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words :)! You should definately try! I just started making raw desserts about a month ago, and it was much easier than I thought! Before that I was always intimidated too. I am sure yours would be just as delicious :)! I will check out your blog :)!

      Delete
  6. That tart looks absolutely delicious....it has all my favorite ingredients and I can't wait to try your "ricotta" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did should you make it ;)!

      Delete
  7. Hi Amy, just found you via foodbuzz. Your recipes all look amazing, then when you read the ingredients I realised they are all gluten free and that sort of thing. I'd love to dive in and have big spoonful of all of them. I'm so impressed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, and thanks for visiting my blog :)!

      Delete
  8. This looks unusual... and so delicious! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious ;)! Hope you do try it, it is so perfect for summer and I am sure you will love it as much as I did :)!

      Delete
  9. Oh I want to try this!! Everything sounds so good, but especially the crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It is super easy to make if you have a food processor :)!

      Delete
  10. What a delish looking tart and I can just smell the vanilla aroma! Thanks for sharing the tomato-love with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderfully healthy dish here,love the basil and nuts in this tart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks delicious! the cheese filling looks so creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This look ahhhhmazing!!!! Making this real soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting, and for the wonderful compliment :)!

      Delete
  14. I made this for my family the other night and it was a hit!!! The tomato and garlic flavor together was amazing. Thanks for making me superstar mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Happy to hear they enjoyed it :)!

      Delete