Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer Breeze Martini



I was over at Como Conservatory last week and I decided to take a stroll out to the Japanese garden.  As I walked along the path all I could hear was the sound of the water as it flowed through the stream, and a few birds singing to each other in the trees.  I was enjoying the peacefulness of it all, and I could not help but notice how fragrant the air was.  Although it was a hot day, it smelled of fragrant flowers and herbs.  Thanks in part to the lovely flowering bushes along the path and the aromatic thyme carpet that covered part of the ground.  I couldn't help but think how wonderful it would be to have such a place in my own back yard.  




Unfortunately, my own back yard is not so picturesque, but I am happy to have other lovely places to visit.  I decided that a martini was in order yesterday.  I had just had a root canal, and although the root canal itself was not that bad, the shock of the price of it was certainly a big ouch.  




I like to think of pleasant things when the unpleasantness hits like that, so instead of being upset, I decided that I would rather think about the fragrant air and the peacefulness of the garden last weekend when I was making my drink.  I thought it ought to be as aromatic, beautiful and calming as the experience I had had.  




I chose aquavit for a base, as it is so aromatic, and combined it with St. Germain, lavender, lemon and a touch of honey!  I coated part of the rim with lavender as well so I could take in the heavenly aroma as I sipped it.  It was as fragrant as a summer breeze in the garden, and so refreshing!  



Summer Breeze Martini
(Aquavit with Elderflower, Lemon, Lavender and a touch of Honey)
Makes 1

6 ice cubes
4 oz Aquavit
1 oz lemon juice
2 oz St. Germain elderflower liqueur 
1 1/2 oz honey lavender syrup*
lavender flowers for garnish (optional)


In a martini shaker add the ice, aquavit, lemon juice, St. Germain, and honey lavender syrup, and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Remove glass from freezer and pour the drink into the glass through a strainer, and serve!



*Honey Lavender Syrup:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup local honey
2 Tbsp dried lavander
Heat water until boiling, remove from heat and whisk in agave nectar and lavander, until nectar is dissolved. Chill well before using in drinks.

38 comments:

  1. ooo yummy elderflower liquor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! This weekend I'm making lavender lemonade granita and chocolate lavender ice cream. Maybe I should also make this drink to sip on while 'cooking'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That granita sounds wonderful Tiffany! So does the ice cream! Too bad we don't live closer and we could swap desserts and drinks :)!

      Delete
  3. This looks wonderfully refreshing--I'm a sucker for a pink drink! Great combo of elderflower, aquavit and lavender. I'll definitely have to try this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :)! You should definately try, one of the best pink drinks I have had :)!

      Delete
  4. A perfect summer drink and the perfect cure to a root canal bill! Those are never fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definately helped :)! At least until I get the card statement haha!

      Delete
  5. That sounds so lovely! I made myself a basil mint lemonade after work, and it was wonderful. Next time I definitely need to incorporate lavender or rose or some other lovely floral note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)! Your lemonade sounds wonderful as well, I would love some of that right now ;)!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful drink! I hope it took a little of the sting out of the dentist's bill... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy :)! It definately helped ;)!

      Delete
  7. Wow! Beautiful drink and such lovely flavors. What a great way to start off the Summer. Love it. Buzzed. =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kym :)! And thanks for the buzz, much appriciated!

      Delete
  8. Such a pretty drink. I hope it took your mind off the pain (literal and monetary)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita :)! It always helps :)!

      Delete
  9. Wow, what a purdy cocktail. I love the flavors you used, especially the the lavendar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennie :)! Lavender is my favorite herb in drinks ;)!

      Delete
  10. That looks so pretty & sounds so delicious. I absolutely love the lavender around the rim detail...lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! The lavender on the rim was also there so that I could enjoy its aroma while sipping the drink, it was lovely :)!

      Delete
  11. I love the idea of lavender on the rim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it makes the drink taste better because you are enjoying the aroma of the lavender while sipping :)!

      Delete
  12. Ooh, this sounds really delicious & is so beautiful! I love the lavender on the rim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! I loved the color as well!

      Delete
  13. This looks so wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a pretty color and I love that lavender on the rim of the glass!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the little lavender buds around the rim, definitely a little pick me up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel as though I should be whispering, this drink seems so peaceful...shhhh

    ReplyDelete