Friday, June 22, 2012

Toasted Macadamia Coconut Butter


I talked all about my love for peant butter in my last post, but not only does peanut butter make me happy, other nut butters do as well.  A scoop of almond butter, cashew, or sunflower seed butter is pretty amazing to me as well, and when I want something a little rich but don't want dessert it does just the trick!


I have been seeing all of these fabulous flavored nut butters lately, and they sound wonderful so I thought I would try making my own.  That way I could control the amount of sweetener that went into it, and create a flavor I hadn't seen on a shelf somewhere. 


I looked through all of the nuts in my fridge and the macadamias caught my eye.  I knew their buttery texture would be amazing!  I decided that some coconut would be perfect paired with them for a slightly sweet butter that did not need too much extra sweetener.  A pinch of sea salt, a tablespoon of maple syrup and a touch of vanilla since I couldn't resist and voila! 


It was amazing! Seriously, when eating nut butter like that I feel like everything is right in the world no matter what is really going on.  I have a feeling I will be buying much less nut butter in the future.


Toasted Macadamia Coconut Butter
Makes about 2 cups

2 cups raw macadamia nuts
2 cups dried unsweetened finely shredded coconut
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp maple syrup (or to taste)
1/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spread macadamia nuts out on one sheet pan and the coconut on another.  Place in the oven and roast the nuts for about 10-15 minutes until golden, and the coconut for about 5-7 (watch it closely as it burns quick).  Remove from oven and let cool.  Place nuts, coconut, vanilla, maple syrup, and sea salt in a food processor and process until smooth.  Pour into a container and let cool.  Store in the fridge for about a month. 

20 comments:

  1. I would definitely make this. It sound delicious! I love the sounds of all those ingredients put together. Must be flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! It was pretty flavorful...mostly coconut!

      Delete
  2. Wow - I can think of many things that would be improved by a lovely spread like this. Great for appetizers and small snacks. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I imagine it would make anything it was added to more delicious ;)!

      Delete
  3. I have never made nut butter with macadamias before. Now I want to give it a try! This sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, it is so delicious :)!

      Delete
  4. That sounds absolutely delicious.....great flavor combination....thank you for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out the post :)!

      Delete
  5. This is literally my idea of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Nut butters are so amazing :)!

      Delete
  6. I like the flavor profile of this compound butter but I wonder what I could use this with...ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Straight out of the jar! Or spread on toast, or over waffles...or with apples! Any way you would use nut butter.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful idea! I love that you used maple syrup as a sweetener...mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz :)! It was a delicious experiment!

      Delete
  8. That looks amazing. I love coconut and macadamia together. And there are all kinds of foods to enjoy this on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had the same thought about it :)!

      Delete
  9. I know we'd all just eat that with a big spoon. I have ice cream and bananas in my mind for some reason. I may have to jump on the bandwagon and start making my own nut butters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks AMAZING!! Just wondering, will it turn out fine if I don't toast the macadamia nuts and the coconut (or will it have a slightly different texture)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will turn out fine, it will just taste different. I have made raw macadamia butter too, and I can tell you it tastes amazing!

      Delete