Sunday, July 22, 2012

Mini Raw Banana Caramel Cream Pies



I had a craving for banana cream pie this weekend and I was not going to ignore it.  But, the recipe I had made in the past just wasn't going to cut it.  Egg yolk and butter filled custard topped with mile high whipped cream!  I tend to eat a large amount when I make it so I wanted something a little more kind to my system this time.  So...I decided that I needed to create a raw version, and for some reason I wanted it to involve caramel! 


So I got to work creating my masterpiece!  I wanted to make an individual pie, since I know I will eat the whole thing.  So I scaled it down to a 4 inch.  Love my mini pie pans!


For the crust I used a simple pecan base sweetened with dates, since they both so lovely with bananas!  The filling was to be creamy and luscious, so I used a cashew coconut base with a touch of vanilla.  I blended bananas into it as well as layered them into the filling, since I wanted them to be very present...as this was afterall, banana pie! 


It had to have raw caramel layered into it as well, so I whipped up a almond date maple caramel with a hint of sea salt and it was delicious!  Of course it also had to be topped off with cream, so I used a coconut filled vanilla cream to top the pie!


It was decadent and delicious!  I was not missing the eggs and heavy cream at all!  In fact this was way better than the coconut cream pies I have made in the past!  And I thought I could never improve upon that one!



Mini Raw Banana Caramel Cream Pies
Makes two 4 inch pies

Crust:
2 cups pecans
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
7-8 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped




Filling:
1 1/4 cups raw cashews (preferably soaked overnight and drained)
1/2 cup young coconut meat (or additional soaked cashews)
1/4 cup coconut water (or filtered water)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
scant 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
1/4 cup plus 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
1/2 cup ripe mashed banana
1 sliced banana

Caramel:
1 cup medjool dates, pitted (soaked in filtered water for 30 minutes if not soft, then drained)
2 Tbsp raw coconut butter
3 Tbsp 
raw coconut nectar, maple syrup or raw honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp maple extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp filtered water

Cream Topping:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/2 cup coconut water
3/4 cup fresh young coconut meat (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and seeds of half a vanilla bean (reserved from filling)
1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)



Line two 4 inch pie pans with plastic wrap. To prepare the crust, process pecans and sea salt in a food processor until the pecans are fine crumbs, then add the dates and process until the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers. Firmly press crust into the bottoms and up the sides of the prepared pans, and set aside.

To make the caramel, puree all ingredients until smooth in a food processor except water.  Add water as needed if too thick. Set aside.
To make the filling, drain the cashews and combine them with coconut meat, coconut water, lemon juice, agave nectar, coconut oil, sea salt and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Add 1 cup ripe mashed banana and puree until smooth.  
To assemble, arrange a layer of banana on the bottom of each pie.  Top with a couple Tbsp caramel, then half of the filling, then another layer of banana layers, then more caramel, then the remaining filling.  Place in the freezer until it is set, 4 to 6 hours, then once set store in the fridge. Before topping, lift out of pie pans using plastic wrap, and place on serving plates. 

To make topping, drain cashews and blend all ingredients until smooth in a food processor, then scrape into a bowl and place in the freezer about 30 minutes until a frosting consistency. Place the topping in pastry bag and pipe decoratively around the top of the pies. Store leftover pies in the fridge.

41 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I want a piece! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could send you one :)!

      Delete
  2. Can't imagine how good this must taste! You need to open an online order site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good I ate the whole thing in one sitting! Maybe someday ;)!

      Delete
  3. So pretty, Amy! And raw? I am really loving this creative recipe and your piping work is perfect:)xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks :)! It could be made with another fruit and be good as well!

      Delete
  5. Wow this looks amazing! cannot believe its raw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my - I'm loving everything banana theses days. What a cute little pie - I bet it's super tasty too. Love the way you decorated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I was craving banana as well, such a comforting fruit :)!

      Delete
  7. Amy, this looks absolutely divine:)Your raw desserts are out of this world. I am almost ready to convert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! You must try making something raw! Then you will really want to convert once you try it ;)!

      Delete
  8. You got me with this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always take such great pictures of your food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi lovely! Your pie is just delicious. Great minds do think alike. I love what you're able to do with sweets while using such wholesome ingredients. So very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monet :)! It was fun to decorate, loving all of the beautiful cake photos you are posting :)!

      Delete
  11. Oh Amy! This looks fantastic. I love how you presented it. All the layers sound fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVING all of the raw desserts! And love these layers :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a master piece. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning! I especially love how you made the caramel sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I love caramel, but I feel better after eating this raw caramel than the real sugar filled stuff!

      Delete
  15. This is one of the most creative and delicious looking raw recipes I have ever seen! I'm always a little hesitant about trying to make anything raw by myself, but this looks totally worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definately say it is worth the effort :)! Thank you!

      Delete
  16. If one were to want to make this into a normal sized pie (say, to split with many roommates...I swear not just to eat alone haha!), how much would you adjust the amounts of things to put it in one big pie pan?? Any suggestions??? LOOKS AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I don't judge if you did eat it all alone ;). I could practically haha! I think if you just made the recipe with double the amounts I list above and use a 8 or 9 inch pan instead of 4 small ones, it should work. Thank you :)!

      Delete
  17. Could this recipe make one bigger tart, or would I need to increase the amounts in the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can, just double the recipe and make it in a 9 inch pie pan. It would also need more time to set up.

      Delete
  18. This pie looks scrumptious, can it be frozen after it's made?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Amy for your response. I've just ordered some piping bags as I'm inspired by the beautiful way you decorate your cakes. I live in London and we don't have coconuts in abundance here. Do you have any suggestions for replacing the coconut meat or water that you suggest in some of your recipes.

    Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You can use filtered water and additional soaked cashews in place of the coconut, I think I mentioned that above. It works the same, you may just need to add a tad more sweetener, as the coconut is a little sweet and the cashews are not.

      Delete
  20. Do you mind sharing how to make the caramel? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete