Thursday, July 19, 2012

Raw Chopped Taco Salad



I am still on a kick where I don't care to use the oven or stove.  I mean it was over 100 degrees on Monday!  Plus, I work in a hot kitchen all day with a hot chefs coat, so cooking food is not appealing when I get home for dinner.  But, I still want to eat good food, and I don't want to have to eat out all the time.  So...raw food is becoming more of a frequent thing in my kitchen. A few nights ago, I wanted taco salad.  However, I did not want to cook beans or turn on the oven to crisp tortillas.  So, I decided to make a salad plate with the flavors of a taco salad with fresh raw ingredients.  




I had bought some local corn and zucchinis and I thought they would be delicious chopped up with a bell pepper, some shallots, and a chili lime dressing.  I also made some taco "meat" instead of having beans out of walnuts seasoned with nutritional yeast and taco spices. It was so delicious I could have eaten it on its own, but I knew it would be a perfect component to my salad. To finish it off I made some fresh salsa from some heirloom tomatoes I had bought as well and guacamole as they are both a must when Mexican food is served at my house!   Once I threw it all on top of a bed of greens, it was quite delicious!  As I was enjoying the last morsel, I was glad I hadn't caved and turned my oven on or bought take out.


Raw Chopped Taco Salad: 
serves 3-4

Salsa:
1 jalapeno, minced (seeded if desired)
2 medium organic heirloom tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup packed fresh organic cilantro, chopped
2 shallots, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
juice of one lime
sea salt to taste

Guacamole:
3 medium organic avocados
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup chopped organic cilantro
juice of one large lime
sea salt to taste

Taco "meat":
1 cup walnuts
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp chipotle powder, or to taste
1 garlic clove
sea salt to taste
2-3 Tbsp filtered water (or as needed)

Salad:
2 ears of fresh organic corn
1 organic yellow zucchini, cut into small dice
1 organic green zucchini, cut into small dice
1 yellow or red bell pepper, cut into small dice
1 large shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/8 tsp chipotle powder or to taste
juice of 2 large limes
1 Tbsp olive oil
sea salt to taste

Lettuce of your choice to serve
hot sauce to serve (optional)

To make salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside. 
To make guac, with an immersion blender in a tall measuring cup, puree until smooth (or if you like chunky, mash in a bowl).  Set aside.
To make taco meat, combine all ingredients in a food processor (except water) and process until well chopped, but still chunky.  Add a little water at a time until the mixture starts to clump together.  Set aside. 
To make salad, remove kernals of corn from the cobs and add to a large bowl, along with all other ingredients.  Toss until well combined. 
To assemble, place some lettuce on each plate, then top each with some salad, salsa, taco meat, and guacamole.  Drizzle with hot sauce if desired, and serve!


15 comments:

  1. Time and temperature are two of the reasons I end up eating a lot of raw veggies and salads - although I do typically have some kind of main course for dinner that's cooked in some fashion. But then I cheat because a lot of stuff is made in advance and either pulled from the freezer or reheated from the weekend cooking spree ;) But I love the idea of eating more delicious food that doesn't require cook time or energy - like this salad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for cooking food in advance, I do that as well :). Unfortunately I didn't have anything this time hence the raw salad. But it allowed me to branch out, which I need ;).

      Delete
  2. Great idea, thank you! Will be making very soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I hope you do try it!

      Delete
  3. Yum!!! This sounds so clean and healthy! I will have to make it one night when my husband is at work, and I can eat vegan... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! The recipe is easily halved if you are enjoying it yourself, or it makes good leftovers for the next night (which I did since I enjoyed it myself ;))!

      Delete
  4. Looks delish Amy, I love raw taco salad! Thanks for the reminder that I should make it in this heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! It is definately keeping my house cooler ;)!

      Delete
  5. I can certainly relate! Turning on the oven makes a furnace room out of my daughter's bedroom which is just above the kitchen. I love your taco salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your daughter appriciates cool dishes too then ;)! Thank you :)!

      Delete
  6. I have been having baked beans and fresh salads too...Everyone has the same sentiments about the temperature. We can't do away with good food, can we? Thanks to your reliable and practical recipes, we get to enjoy the summer despite the scorching heat. This looks delicious. Easy to prepare too.Can be done while watching TV ;)
    Myfudo here...Normally we'd never put a shameless plug back to us, but we just launched our new site and we would love for you to be a part of it. I'd love to share our newest launch with you, I hope you don't mind? Now that we are getting a new look...Myfudo is moving to a new domain http://www.yumgoggle.com This has been a project we have been working on for almost a year now. We just launched our new gallery submission site, and we are just thrilled. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there! Please sign up and check us out (it's free) http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery
    We look forward to seeing your wonderful pictures, as always.
    p.s. We are hosting a Kitchen Aid Mixer Giveaway to celebrate our new Yumgoggle site, we hope you'll participate =)
    http://www.yumgoggle.com/cakes-cupcakes-the-black-forest-cake-cupcake-a-kitchenaid-mixer-giveaway/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that you changed your site! I will head over and check it out :)!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I didn't because I wanted them to be a bit crunchy.

      Delete
  8. Very creative way to get around using the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete