Saturday, July 28, 2012

Raw Peach Crumble Timbale



I used to make crumble or crisp every weekend.  I looked forward to that hot bubbly fruit filled goodness emerging from the oven at about the point where I could barely stand the amazing aroma.  I would then wait only wait a few minutes for it to cool, pile on the ice cream, and enjoy its sweet jammy goodness with the silky ice cream melting into it to cool it down.   Times have changed however.  Of course I still love crisp, but I am not into hot desserts so much this summer, or heating the oven.  In fact, before this week, it had been about 6 months since I had made one! 


I was craving the flavors of a peach crumble but I did not want to heat up the oven.  So of course, the perfect solution was to make a raw peach crumble!  The filling still had to have the touch of cinnamon, maple and vanilla, and the topping still had to have crunch and pecans. 


I suppose I could have just placed the peaches in a bowl, dumped the pecan crumble on top and scooped in my ice cream...but I wanted it to look a bit more pretty, so I decided to make a timbale. 
I figured, as well as being pretty the timbale would guaruntee that every bite would be filled with the pecan crumble topping goodness, as I placed a layer in the middle of the timbale as well!  I then served it with some peach thyme ice cream I had on hand.  It was delicious!  The sweet juicy peaches laced with cinnamon and the crunchy nutty topping...so heavenly!  I never would have though I could make crumble without the oven, and obviously I was wrong!  I have a feeling I am going to be making this a lot in the next couple months!


Raw Peach Crumble Timbale
makes 2

Crumble:
1 cup pecans
4 soft pitted dates
1/8 tsp sea salt or to taste
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup coursely chopped pecans

Peaches:
4 ripe organic medium peaches, sliced
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Peach Thyme Ice Cream or your favorite ice cream

In a food processor, combine 1 cup pecans, dates and sea salt and process until finely ground.  Place in a bowl and mix in maple syrup and chopped pecans with hands until it holds together a little when squeezed.  Set aside. 
In a large bowl, combine peaches, maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon, and mix well.  Let sit for at least 30 minutes. 
To assemble, place a 4 inch round ring mold on each of two plates (or I used the top part of my 4 inch springform pan.  You can also use a 4 inch wide can with the bottom cut out.)  place 1/2 of the peach mixture (dividing between the two molds) into the bottom of the molds, arranging the peaches so they are flat and pretty.  Top with half the crumble mixture, then the other half of the peach mixture then the remaining crumble mixture.  Carefully remove the molds, and serve with peach ice cream (or whichever flavor you like)!


11 comments:

  1. Honestly Amy your combination in flavours are so original and fantastic...on another note I'm thinking you could also open up an ice-cream shop too :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! An ice cream shop would be fun!

      Delete
  2. I love crumbles but I agree when it's hot, it's kinda something you want but prefer something cool instead.. perfect for Summer and I love the addition of the ice cream too. Yummy.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Ice cream is essential with crumble, especially in the summer ;)!

      Delete
  3. I could go for this right about now. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love crumble too! Perfect light dessert for the summer. Mmm peaches are just the best. Your good always looks so beautiful Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to bake crisps more often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I'd love this for dessert right NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes less time than a traditional crisp to prepare if you have all the ingredients ;)!

      Delete