Thursday, July 26, 2012

Red and Gold Beet Salad




It is no secret that I am a beet lover.  I have used beets in all sorts of things on this blog from brownies, to cheesecake to cookies, to a dessert lasagna.  But, I also love them in savory applications of course.  Although I love to just eat beets plain with a little vinegar, (and I do so often)  there are so many fun ways to play with them and make them look pretty in salads!I was recently at Heartland Restaurant in St. Paul, and I had the most wonderful little amuse bouche with beets.  It had a silky red beet chevre mousse, crunchy beet chips, and marinated beets!  It was amazing, and it made me want to create
 a salad with the same textures and flavors!


So I thought last weekend was the perfect time to do so, since I decided to make myself dinner instead of going out.  I have been making lots of use of my dehydrater lately, and so it seemed like the perfect way to make the beet chips rather than frying them. They turned out beautifully!  Kind of addictive and it is a wonder they made it onto the plate with the salad. 



For the "chevre" beet mousse, I decided to use my almond chevre instead of the real thing as I am in love with nut cheeses lately and I alway have plenty of almonds on hand.  It was just as delicious as the real chevre, still silky and creamy with the lovely shocking pink of the beets! A simple arugula salad with raw beets and pistachios, and sweet and tangy jewel like marinated beets completed the plate.  It was almost too pretty to eat, but who am I kidding...I polished off every last bite! 


Red and Gold Beet Salad
Serves 3

Beet Chips:
3 medium red beets, sliced very thin
3 medium golden beets, sliced very thin

Marinated Beets:
3 medium red beets, roasted*, peeled and cut into small dice
3 medium golden beets, roasted*, peeled and cut into small dice
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp maple syrup, or honey

Beet Almond "Chevre" Mousse
1 cup ground raw almonds (or almond flour)
2 Tbsp organic lemon juice
1/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
2-4 Tbsp filtered water
1 small garlic clove
1 small roasted red beet*

Salad:
1 large bunch of baby arugula, spinach, or a mixture of your favorite greens
1 raw golden beet, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
1 raw red beet, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup shelled pistachios

To make beet chips, place them on a tray in a dehydrater and dry them for about 8 hours or more depending on the size of the beets.  When dry, coat with a light coating of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.  Set aside. 

To made marinated beets (dividing between 2 separate bowls), combine beets, lemon juice (1 1/2 Tbsp each bowl or about 1/2 a lemon) and honey (about 1/2 Tbsp each bowl) and toss to combine.  Set aside.

To make beet chevre mousse, combine all ingredients, except water in the food processor and process until blended, then add a little water at a time until it is a chevre consistency (but not too runny).  Place the mixture in a pastry bag, and set aside. 

In a large bowl, combine greens and julienned beets and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.  Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.  Toss to combine.

To plate, place a mound of the greens on each of 3 plates, and sprinkle with pistachios.  Spoon a bit of the marinated beets onto each plate, and pipe a fat line of the beet "chevre" onto each plate as well.  Place a few of the beet chips onto each plate as well, and serve!

*To roast beets, wrap them in foil  (I did separate foil for the gold and red beets to preserve the color) and roast them at 475 degrees for about 1 hour or more until tender when poked with a knife (depending on the size of the beets).  Remove from oven, and let cool before peeling. 

16 comments:

  1. I love beets too and my mum has a lot of them growing in her veggie plot. I'm hoping she lets me have some so I can make this with organic beets rather than paying a lot in stores.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking
    P.S. Just to let you know, I changed servers on my blog so you may need to re-subscribe again (sorry!) See this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Organic beets are so much better, I hope your Mom does have some so you can enjoy this too :)! I will resubscribe to you!

      Delete
  2. I love the combined flavours of the 2 beats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love beets too...we never get golden beets here, but when I go to other markets I always pick them up...Also have some in the garden,,,can't wait. In the mean time I'm making this fantastic recipe...thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Bummer to not have golden beets, but awesome that you grow your own! I wish I could ;)!

      Delete
  4. That looks absolutely gorgeous! I love beet salads and I don't make them often enough.

    Have a wonderful weekend, Amy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! You have an awesome weekend as well :)!

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous looking dinner Amy! Wish we had golden beets here :( Sadly no. I love beets too. Roasted and juiced are my fave way to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! Bummer about the golden beets...at least the red ones are just as delicious and you can still enjoy those! I enjoy roasted and juiced as well!

      Delete
  6. Yum!!!! Salads dont often catch my attention, but this one, wow. I must be a bit batty for beets too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Nothing wrong with being batty for beets ;)!

      Delete
  7. Beets have been missing from my diet but this might get me to include them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beets are deafinately a nutrition must :)!

      Delete
  8. This is one gorgeous salad Amy! Full of both beautiful colors and flavor!

    ReplyDelete