Thursday, August 16, 2012

Mini Blueberries and Cream Pies



The sun slowly lowers to the ground as the insects and frogs begin their symphony. The sky fades from a pale pink into a deep purple blue as the night begins to arrive.  As I walk along the path in the woods, the cool breeze touches my skin and whistles through the trees.  It is a bit chilly, but I stay warm as I continue to walk.  The stars begin to appear, they are like a beautiful smattering of diamonds in the sky, and I cannot help but be thankful for how peaceful it is at that very moment.  I am all alone, and yet nature is keeping me company.  Although I enjoy time spent with others, this time by myself is just as essential, and I look forward to every time I get to experience this.  As my time spent outdoors ends, and I walk through my front door, I cannot help but look forward to the dessert I had made earlier in the day, waiting for me...blueberries and cream pie!  Lovely and deep purple just like the night sky I had just experienced.


I had gotten my hands on a large amount of local blueberries that morning, and I could not imagine anything more delicious than a pie to make with them!  But, it had to have a creamy element, so I decided to make blueberries and cream pie with a luscious silky smooth blueberry cream filling on the bottom, and a tart sweet fresh blueberry topping. 


I piled it into a crunchy hazelnut crust, and topped it off with a little coconut cream to make it pretty.  It was the perfect end to a perfect evening...never under estimate the power of me time!


Mini Raw Blueberries and Cream Pies
Makes 4

Crust:
3 cups hazelnuts

1/8 teaspoon sea salt
12 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped


Filling:
1 cup raw cashews (preferably soaked overnight)
1/2 cup young coconut meat
1/4 cup coconut water (or filtered water)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
1/4 cup plus 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
2 1/2 cups fresh organic blueberries, divided
Sauce:
(reserved blueberries from filling)
2 Tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Cream:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/2 cup coconut water
3/4 cup fresh young coconut meat* (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
2 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and seeds of half a vanilla bean (reserved from filling)
1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
Spray two 4 inch pans, lined with plastic wrap to make removal easier. To prepare the crust, process hazelnuts and sea salt in a food processor until the pecans are fine crumbs, then add the dates and process until the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers. Firmly press crust into the bottoms of the tart pans, and set aside in the freezer to firm up.

To make the cream filling, drain the cashews and combine them with coconut, coconut water, lemon juice and nectar, coconut oil, sea salt, vanilla and 1/2 cup blueberries in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour the filling into four the four prepared crusts. Place in the freezer until it is set, 4 to 6 hours.
To make topping, combine 1/4 cup blueberries, 1 Tbsp agave nectar, and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth.  Remove from food processor and toss with remaining blueberries to combine.  Spoon the blueberry mixture over the pies and return to the fridge. 
To make the cream topping, combine the cashews, coconut water, coconut meat, agave nectar, and vanilla in the food processor and process until smooth.  Slowly add the coconut oil with the motor running, and blend until well combined.  Place in a bowl, and chill in the fridge for a few hours until firm enough to pipe. 
To finish the pies, place the cream in a pastry bag and pipe decoratively around the edges of the pies.  Serve! 

18 comments:

  1. For me??? How did you know blueberry pies are my favorite? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could send you one through the computer ;)!

      Delete
  2. This is so beautiful Amy! Love blueberries. I need to get out picking them again to stock for the winter. Mmm cashew coconut whipped cream just makes life better. Remember to get your pals to vote for your sundae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! As I am sure you know, that cream is awfully addictive ;)! I shared the link with my friends on FB. Thanks again for hosting the challenge :)!

      Delete
  3. So pretty, and it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a truly gorgeous dessert! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! I love getting my hands on local blueberries, although most of the time I just put them on my morning cereal;-) Your blueberry cream pie would be a wonderful dessert to look forward to after an afternoon walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty :)! I mostly enjoy the berries in simpler ways as well, this was a treat ;)!

      Delete
  6. Looks and sounds delicious. The hazelnut crust sounds delicious and the pies sound dreamy with the fruit and cream combo. I used to love walking through the woods at dusk. Until one day, in late summer, I was walking through the woods to look down and see this huge mosquito type bug on my arm sucking my blood. It was huge!!! I've not done it since. LOL.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I love hazelnuts and berries together ;)! That is really gross about the mosquito...I am glad they aren't that bad by my house this year!

      Delete