Friday, August 24, 2012

Raw Cherry Almond Ice Cream Cake



I recently decided that I needed to make raw ice cream after hearing a friend rave about it, telling me it tasted as good as full fat dairy ice cream.  This was something I needed to experience first hand, it sounded amazing, and afterall, I make ice cream almost every week, what had I been missing out on? 



I suppose plain old vanilla vanilla would have been delicious, but my Mom (who I tell about all my recipes before I make them) suggested cherry almond ice cream.  It is her favorite so I guess I wasn't surprised on the suggestion.  I love it too so I was all for it.  I was wondering how cashews in an ice cream base would be and was a bit skeptical until I blended the base up and it tasted absolutely amazing! 



I knew this was going to be something good...it was already so silky smooth!  Once processed, it was even better, and unlike anything I had ever tasted!  Rich, and about 10 times more tasty than full fat dairy ice cream. I think I may just be hooked on this stuff now...



This was too good to just simply eat however, it deserved something more grand...like a cherry almond ice cream cake!  So I made some cherry almond cake layers for it to be showcased between, and a creamy coconut frosting to top it off.  It was the most beautiful ice cream cake I have ever made!  Oh, wait it was the only one I have ever made...but it was delicious, and what a way to start making ice cream cakes!



Raw Cherry Almond Ice Cream Cake
Makes one 6 inch cake

For the cake layers:
3 cups almonds
2 1/2 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup dried cherries

For the ice cream:
1 cup raw cashews, (soaked for 2 hours at least, then drained)
1 cup young coconut meat
1/2 cup coconut water
1/4-1/3 cup agave nectar or honey depending on how sweet you like it
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
seeds of one vanilla bean or 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 cup fresh cherries pitted

Frosting:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/2 cup coconut water

3/4 cup fresh young coconut meat* (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
2 tablespoons agave syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and seeds of a vanilla bean
1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
Cherries for garnish

To make the ice cream, place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.  Pour into an ice cream maker, and process according to directions.  Pour into a freezer safe container and place in the freezer. 

To make cake layers, combine the almonds, coconut and sea salt in a food processor and process until finely ground.  Add the agave nectar, vanilla and cherries and process until holding together.  Press half the mixture into a 6 inch springform pan (sprayed with nonstick spray), then remove from the pan and set aside.  Press the other half of the mixture into the pan and leave it in there.  Spread ice cream over the bottom layer (there may be a bit extra) about 2 inches thick.  Top with other cake layer, and press down slightly so it fits in the pan.  Place in the freezer to firm up. 

To make the frosting, drain cashews and blend all ingredients until smooth in a food processor, and set in the freezer about 30 minutes until a frosting consistency. Spread frosting on the top and sides of the cake.  Place remaining frosting in a pastry bag and pipe decoratively around the bottom and top of the cake.  Garnish with cherries.  Store in the freezer. 


20 comments:

  1. Beautiful! It's amazing how the cake layer looks like a moist, floury consistency. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Amazing how good raw cakes can be ;)!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, you flatter me too much ;)!

      Delete
  3. This looks fantastic inside and out! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! It tasted even better than it looks ;)!

      Delete
  4. I'm amazed! Impeccable design and an ingenious recipe! An impressive dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh YUmmmm!!! Amy, you've outdone yourself yet again. It reminds me of the winning raw ice cream cake in one of my challenges: cherry almond (amarretto) ice cream cake. If you want to check it out: http://www.sweetlyraw.com/2010/05/raw-ice-cream-cake-challenge-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! I looked at that page with all of the delicious ice cream cakes and I was drooling!

      Delete
  6. Looks great! Not sure that I've had a raw ice cream cake before. Will have to keep my eyes out for it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, it is way better than regular dairy ice cream cake ;)!

      Delete
  7. *drools* Ok, this looks so amazing. You're tempting me to make this for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I could imagine having it for breakfast today, since it is so warm where I live ;)!

      Delete
  8. It sounds and looks beautiful Amy. Question if you don't own an ice cream maker would it work in a vitamix on the high speed for making frozen treats?
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annette! I have never tried it without an ice cream maker, but you might try freezing the ice cream base, then chopping it into chunks and throwing them in the blender to create a soft ice cream.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful cake - I will have to try that as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! You should definately try it, I know you will love it!

      Delete