Sunday, August 26, 2012

Raw Lavender Peach Trifle



When I saw that organic peaches were on sale at my work this week I had to buy some.  Well not just some...a LARGE bag.  I cannot get enough of them, and have been eating them every day since they came into season.  But getting my hands on a large supply of them called for something delicious to be made. I admit, I have been pampering myself a bit this weekend because I felt that last week was quite trying.  A string of tough things happened to me including a trip to the ER after slicing open my finger at work.  But as always I got through it and was happy to see the weekend! 



Now back to that dessert, which was part of the pampering...I decided on a peach lavender trifle. I haven't made a trifle in years!  In fact, the last time I made one was when I first started this blog I believe.  It just sounded quite wonderful.  



However, I was not going to bake a pound cake and bust out heavy cream.  This was going to be a raw trifle.  I have a raw vanilla almond cake recipe that is really delicious and I knew it would pair well with the sweet peaches and lavender coconut cream!



It was beautiful once assembled, and so delicious as I dove in.  The almondy cake, the sweet peaches and silky rich cream...so heavenly!  Who cares what unfortunate things happened last week...this was good!



Raw Lavender Peach Trifle
Serves 2

1 1/2 cups almonds
1 1/4 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Cream:
1/2 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/4 cup coconut water

1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp fresh young coconut meat* (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
1 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

Sauce and Peaches:
2 tsp dried lavender
1 large organic peach, sliced
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

dried lavender for topping

To make cake, combine the almonds, coconut and sea salt in a food processor and process until finely ground. Add the agave nectar, vanilla and process until holding together.  Press into a one inch tall square, and refridgerate until firm.
To make the cream, drain cashews and blend all ingredients until smooth in a food processor, and set in the freezer about 30 minutes until a whipped cream consistency.
Puree half the peach in the food processor with lavender, honey, and vanilla until smooth.  Fold half the sauce into 2/3 of the cream mixture reserving the other 1/3 for topping.  Stir the remaining puree into the remaining peach slices. 
Cut the cake into 1 inch cubes.  To assemble trifle, spoon 1/2 the lavender cream mixture into the bottom of a medium sized bowl, and top with half the peach slices.  Top with the cake, then the rest of the lavender cream mixture then the remaining peach slices.  Top with the plain cream, and top with some dried lavender for garnish.  Serve!

19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Miss Amy! This looks beautiful! I just bought some peaches, too . . . hmmm . . .

    Can I just ask, where do you find all the dried flowers (the lavender and rose, in particular) that you use for your recipes? I can never seem to find them anywhere I go! They make your recipes look so wonderful (and I'm sure they lend an incredible taste!), and I'd love to use them myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunnie :)! I got the dried flowers in the bulk section of the health food store I work at. But I know you can get then at other health food stores or Coops as well, or order then online. Just make sure they are organic and food grade.

      Delete
  2. Oh how I love peaches! Thank you for reminding me that it is indeed, still summer. This trifle looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! The addition of the coconut water and meat sounds like a refreshing splash of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! The coconut adds a flavor like nothing else ;)!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous trifle! I love that use of cashews in this recipe. Very unusual and unique. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! The non-dairy "cream" was quite addictive!

      Delete
  5. Exotic and I love the ingredients. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The title alone made my heart skip a beat. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks and sounds divine Amy! Peaches and lavender must be a lovely combo - have never tried it. I hope your finger is feeling better! Ouchie! Those slicers are never fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :)! Definately a must try ;)! Luckilly I heal fast so the finger is looking good!

      Delete
  8. Oh my this looks so incredible! I have been eating my wieght in peaches too since they showed up at the Farmstand - so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Lucky you to have such access to the good peaches ;)!

      Delete
  9. I haven't been able to find good peaches (or nectarines) for a couple weeks! They are all mealy already, which is sad because they were phenomenal a couple weeks ago (I would sometimes eat three a day). Where can you get good ones still?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer! I have been buying mine at Fresh and Natural Foods in Shoreview (where I work in the deli). If they are not completely ripe, then they are perfect after a couple days on the counter. The ones I bought last week though, were perfect the day I bought them!

      Delete
  10. This looks awesome! I might sub in nectarines for the peaches, and I can't wait to try this out next weekend. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete