Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Raw Sweet Corn Ice Cream with Fresh Raspberry Sauce



There is an event that comes once every year in Minnesota and for most of us that live here it is a must to attend it every year.  This event is the Minnesota State Fair!  Now, for most it is an excuse to overindulge  because it is justified by walking it off since you do walk quite a bit.  



But it is also great people watching, and where else does the rest of Minnesota converge into one small area?  Back to the food though...they have everything from deep fried twinkies to fried lamb testicles, to pickles on a stick to all sorts of ethnic foods.  





I am rather boring in my food consumption at the fair however, preferring to mostly go for the local wine and beer booths...because hey, nothing wrong with a little booze! 



I did enjoy a little wine ice cream as well, and I did tour the creative activities building and drool over the rows and rows of cakes...



I tell myself every year I should enter something but I get  too busy.  I must admit though, they are fun to look at!  Then of course I had to see the giant veggies like the over 1000 lb pumpkin that must of taken all year to grow!  I don't think I have ever missed the fair, it is a must every year!


I saw a booth selling sweet corn ice cream, but I didn't buy any since I had made some last week.  Although theirs was probably good, mine was downright addictive!  It is the perfect time of year to enjoy sweet corn, which is why I made this heavenly ice cream.



Since I am hooked on raw ice cream lately, this one was raw as well with a cashew coconut base.  Seriously guys...if you have not tried making raw ice cream you are missing out!  The base was sweet and rich and it paired well with the sweet corn which gave it a subtle flavor. 


I also made some fresh rasberry sauce to serve with it since I love corn and berries together (think sweet corn cakes with fresh berries).  It was an amazing combo, and the sweet silky ice cream was perfect with the slightly tart jammy berries!  Sometimes I wish it could be summer forever so I could enjoy delicious things like sweet corn and berries year round!



Raw Sweet Corn Ice Cream with Fresh Raspberry Sauce
Makes 4 cups ice cream and 1 cup sauce

Ice Cream:
1 cup raw cashews, (soaked for 2 hours at least, then drained)
1 cup young coconut meat
1/2 cup coconut water
1/4-1/3 cup agave nectar or honey depending on how sweet you like it
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
seeds of one vanilla bean or 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 cup fresh sweet corn kernals (removed from cob)

Raspberry Sauce:
1 cup organic raspberries, divided
2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

To make the ice cream, place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Press the mixture through a fine meshed strainer to remove chunks if desired.  Pour the strained base into an ice cream maker, and process according to directions. Pour into a freezer safe container and place in the freezer.
For the sauce, puree half the raspberries with agave nectar and vanilla until smooth.  Stir in the remaining whole berries. 
To serve, spoon the sauce over the ice cream and enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Wow! You seam to be the queen of desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, look at those cakes! I think there's a state fair here in Virginia but have no idea when and where it is and if they have cakes.
    Your ice-cream sounds great on a hot summer day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were even more cases of them too Roxana...and pies, and bars...lots to drool over and admire through the glass ;). Thanks, the ice cream was amazing...I ate it all...myself haha!

      Delete
  3. I have been drooling over those pictures of the state fair since I first saw them...and this raw corn icecream looks even better! Thank you for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monet :)! I hope they have a state fair where you live, I am sure if you submitted some baked goods they would win 1st prize ;)!

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of sweet corn ice cream until now. I love sweet corn so I'm assuming this would be to my liking too. Is it a subtle taste of the sweet corn?

    I also bought some agave nectar too. I'm excited to use it now.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious! A hint of sweet corn in a silky vanilla base. I am sure you would love it! Awesome about the agave nectar! Hope you enjoy it :)!

      Delete
  5. Never heard of sweet corn ice cream! This looks delicious....got to try this...will come back after trying :)
    Cheers
    Mj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I have seen it in a few places and just had to create my own. If you do try it let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  6. No fried lamb testicles post for us today Amy?!?!? LOL. This ice cream looks amazing! :D I've never had corn and berries together, but it sounds delish to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Tiffany :)! Someday you have to try sweet corn ice cream!

      Delete
  7. Wow what a fun food fair. I would def bee at the wine table too ;) Wine ice cream looks delish! Never thought of putting wine into ice cream...
    Sweet corn ice cream is an interesting idea Amy! You always come up with such unique things girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food is only part of the fair, there are animals and lots of other things to see, I just mainly go to gawk at the food ;). The wine ice cream was awesome!
      Thanks :)! I love your recipes too!

      Delete
  8. I really need to make sweet corn ice cream...I'm so intrigued, and have a feeling I'd love it. Beautiful with the raspberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I know you would love sweet corn ice cream! I bet it would be good with other berries too!

      Delete